Ryan T. Anderson
Ryan T. Anderson researches and writes about marriage and religious liberty as the William E. Simon Fellow in Religion and a Free Society at The Heritage Foundation. He also focuses on justice and moral principles in economic thought, health care and education, and has expertise in bioethics and natural law theory.
Anderson, who joined Heritage’s DeVos Center for Religion and Civil Society in 2012, also is the editor of Public Discourse, the online journal of the Witherspoon Institute of Princeton, N.J.
Anderson’s recent work focuses on the moral and constitutional questions surrounding same-sex “marriage.” He is the co-author with Princeton’s Robert P. George and Sherif Girgis of “What Is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defense” (Encounter Books, December 2012). The three also co-wrote the article “What is Marriage?” in the winter 2011 issue of Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy.
Anderson, George and Girgis filed amicus briefs with the 9th Circuit Court on the appeal of Perry v. Schwarzenegger, the case reviewing the constitutionality of California’s Proposition 8, and with the 1st Circuit Court on the challenge to the federal Defense of Marriage Act. In January 2013, the co-authors filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court after it agreed to hear the cases.
Anderson’s previous positions include assistant editor of First Things; journalism fellow of the Phillips Foundation; and executive director of the Witherspoon Institute, where he was research assistant to Robert P. George and Jean Bethke Elshtain.
His articles have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, First Things, Weekly Standard, National Review, Ricochet.com, New Atlantis, Claremont Review of Books, Touchstone, Books and Culture, Christianity Today, The City and Human Life Review.
Anderson received his bachelor of arts degree from Princeton University, graduating Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude. He is a doctoral candidate in political philosophy at the University of Notre Dame, where he received his master’s degree. His research spans the natural law tradition in conversation with classical and contemporary liberalism. The tentative title of his dissertation: “Beyond Private Property and Social Welfare: Economic Justice and Economic Rights.”
Anderson, who was born in Baltimore, Md., currently resides in Washington, D.C.
We need to call out the Left when they oversimplify complex human realities.Read More »
Posted: July 5, 2013 at 10:00 am
At stake in the two cases expected to be decided by the Supreme Court later this month is whether citizens and their elected officials have the constitutional authority to make laws that reflect the truth about marriage.Read More »
Posted: June 14, 2013 at 12:01 am
Marriage exists to make men and women responsible to each other and to any children that they might have.Read More »
Posted: April 16, 2013 at 12:01 am
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
While you're waiting for your TV provider to get TheBlaze, sign up to watch it online now.
- After Being Fined and Forced to Host Gay Weddings, Christian Farm Owners Make Drastic Decision That 'Will Likely Hurt Their Business' 1.3K Comments
- More Than 134,000 Petition Obama Admin. to Demand Release of Sgt. Tahmooressi — Here's the Response They Received Instead 528 Comments
- U.K. Prime Minister Warns of ‘Greatest Terrorist Threat’ in History. Hours Later, Obama Made This Comment at Fundraiser. 398 Comments
- A CNN Host Let a Muslim Cleric Speak Freely. What He Said about Journalism, Terrorism and Sharia Law in America Left the Host Speechless 383 Comments
- Greg Gutfeld and Alan Colmes Clash Over Islamic State Threat: 'Why Is It That Lefties...Have a Hard Time Identifying Actual Existential Evil' 308 Comments
- Take a Gander at America's Most Heavily Armed Counties. The Ones That Aren't on the Map Might Surprise You 42.9K Shares
- If You Get a Call From 202-609-7070, DO NOT Answer It 26K Shares
- After Being Fined and Forced to Host Gay Weddings, Christian Farm Owners Make Drastic Decision That 'Will Likely Hurt Their Business' 21.8K Shares
- More Than 134,000 Petition Obama Admin. to Demand Release of Sgt. Tahmooressi — Here's the Response They Received Instead 19.2K Shares
- University Dumping Harry Reid's Name From Building 16.6K Shares
- Muslims Harassed Them for Years and Set Fire to Their Property. Now These Jerusalem Christians Have Finally Been Forced to Close Their Church Read More
- Stand-Up Comic With Tourette Syndrome Performs at Baptist College. It Doesn’t Go Well — but Not for the Reason You’re Thinking Read More
- Atheist Richard Dawkins Has More to Say About Abortion Being the ‘Right Decision’ For Babies With Down Syndrome 269 Comments
- Youth Pastor Is Behind Bars After Child Porn Discovery 140 Comments
- Officials ‘Agonized’ Over Possibly Firing Divorcing Christian College President — but Here’s Why They’re Keeping Him Read More
- It Used to Be a World-Renowned Gambling Resort. Now the Casinos Are Folding Left and Right 164 Comments
- Obama Says He Wants to Help Workers. He Might Just Be Helping Robots Find New Jobs 105 Comments
- After Being Fined and Forced to Host Gay Weddings, Christian Farm Owners Make Drastic Decision That ‘Will Likely Hurt Their Business’ 1319 Comments
- Malaysia Airlines Making Major Changes After Twin Disasters Read More
- Chris Matthews Chides MSNBC Guest for Not Agreeing With Him on Burger King Move 103 Comments
- This Town Is Trying to Raise Two Billion Canadian Dollars for a Project That Would Put NASA to Shame Read More
- Digital Pioneer Decides to Freeze His Body in Hopes of Future ALS Cure Read More
- The Simple Way to Thwart an Alarming New Tool to Steal Your ATM Code Read More
- See the Freak ‘Foamnado’ That Formed After Fire Suppression System Accidentally Deployed in Military Hangar Read More
- FBI Says Russian Hackers Engaged in Cyberattacks on U.S. Banks Read More
- Placido Domingo closing act at London festival
- Modi visit draws pledges of support from Japan
- Pakistani police, protesters clash anew in capital
- Merkel aide downplays anti-euro party's success
- Alibaba IPO comes with unusual structure
- Revel starts shutdown Monday after just 2 years
- Islamic State group becomes target of Arab satire
- Beijing faces defiance in Hong Kong on vote reform