Stories from a flash mob (of kindness) – Part II
Sara from Georgia writes:
Our flash mob [event] was put together by Future Voices of America… an organization founded in conservative principals. FVA was started by a couple of 20-somethings with the goal of getting our generation out of their bubble, involved, and most importantly, educated on decisions being made in our country that will effect our futures. We had around 20 people participate once it was all said and done. People donated food, toiletries, clothes, etc, to an organization called Homestretch.
Homestretch is a donation based organization, located in Roswell, GA, which provides assistance to otherwise homeless families working to get back on their feet, and into a situation where they can provide permanent, sustainable housing for themselves. They operate under the premise of providing a hand up, not a hand out. All of the families they assist have children under the age of 18 and are working to get back on their feet and on their own. The provide classes and education for them on how to manage their budget, groceries, etc to give them they knowledge they need to be successful. There are 30 to 40 families being assisted by this organization. As their program director told me this morning, “we know for the families to have long term success, we can’t just give them fish, we have to teach them how to fish.”
I wasn’t sure if anyone would show up this morning outside of the 4 of us who run Future Voices, but many did. Thanks to people finding out even on Twitter, Facebook, and Freedom Connector we collected a lot more than expected, and were able to fill an entire office with food and other items to help Homestretch in their efforts. The people that run the organization were blown away, and very grateful. Before we left one of the program directors told me one of the families with them was having an extremely rough month. The mother of this family works hard, but doesn’t make enough to meet the needs of her family, or qualify for enough food stamps to feed her children. Some of what we donated will get her family through the rest of the month, and allow her to put a little aside to avoid this situation next month.
It was an awesome morning and we plan to work with this organization on other projects in the future.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 584 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 519 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 387 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 315 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'