Daily Caller staff told to I.D Politico as ‘liberal’
It is now unofficial policy at the Daily Caller (DC) for reporters to identify Politico as a “liberal publication,” a source who writes for DC told THE BLAZE. The source requested anonymity.
Since last Wednesday, no fewer than four stories (one of which was also published on the Washington Times website) by DC reporters have referred to Politico as “a liberal publication based in suburban Virginia,” “the liberal Politico newspaper” and “liberal publication Politico.”
DC began the practice after Politico published an article in which it “confirmed” the story about Michele Bachmann’s debilitating migraines, first reported by DC.
“When we broke the Bachmann story, [DC Editor in Chief Tucker Carlson] was pissed that they felt the need to confirm,” the source said.
Also in Politico’s story, DC was identified as “a conservative online publication.”
“So, [Carlson] sent out an email [to staff] like, ‘from now on let’s call Politico “liberal newspaper Politico”‘,” the source said.
We reached out to Politico for comment on DC identifying the publication as “liberal.” The publication’s executive editor Jim Vandehei responded to THE BLAZE in an email:
“I have no clue. I know Tucker well, and feel quite confident he doesn’t actually believe we are a partisan publication. Just like our other readers, Tucker knows we pride ourselves in fairness and fact-based reporting. Perhaps it was a simple editing error in his shop.”
Carlson declined to speak on the record.
Neither Politico nor DC bill themselves as coming from the political right or left. But it is worth noting that longtime reporter for Politico Andy Barr left the publication last Monday to work for the Democratic Party in Arizona (a story DC broke). And another of their reporters left to work for Democratic Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz in Jan. 2010 before returning to Politico less than a month later.
Likewise, DC’s media reporter Jeff Poor once worked for the conservative Media Research Center, a news watchdog, and conservative writer Matt Lewis also has his own prominent blog on the site.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 284 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him