Family of Trayvon Martin seeks to trademark teen’s name
According to documents filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the mother of Trayvon Martin has applied to secure trademarks containing her late son’s name. Sybrina Fulton is seeking to trademark the phrases “I Am Trayvon” and “Justice for Trayvon” for use on “Digital materials, namely, CDs and DVDs featuring Trayvon Martin,” and other products:
The two applications — which cost $325 each — were filed by an Orlando, Fla., law firm representing Fulton, the Smoking Gun reports.
(Click here to see the submitted applications.)
In the wake of the news that her son had been suspended from school after traces of marijuana were found in backpack, Fulton said on Monday that people were trying to blame the victim.
“Even in death, they are still disrespecting my son, and that is a shame,” Martin’s father, Tracy, said during a press conference Monday with Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Sharpton said he expected the police would attempt to characterize Martin as a “junkie” and “demonize the victim.”
“They killed my son, and now they are trying to kill his reputation,” Martin’s mother added.
It’s unclear at this point why Fulton applied to trademark her son’s name and the news is likely to fuel criticism that Martin’s family and other outspoken supporters are trying to capitalize on his death for personal or financial gain.
In trademarking these slogans, it seems like Martin’s family is not merely trying to control how his name or image are used in the wake of the tragedy as his likeness makes its way onto posters and tee shirts. Similarly, Martin’s supporters have begun circulating George Zimmerman’s image on a tee shirt identifying the shooter as a “P*** A** CRACKER.” A photo of a Florida rapper wearing the shirt was posted on Twitter, sparking outrage among Zimmerman’s supporters.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 481 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 429 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 390 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 313 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 276 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 118 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 115 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 223 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 210 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- School storm protection is spotty in tornado zones
- Obama threatens veto of House student loan plan
- House committee passes Iran sanctions legislation
- London terror attack leaves 1 dead near barracks
- Facebook posts: Suit filed over vet's detention
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Target's 1Q profit drops 29 pct on weak sales
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles of govt travelers