This is what convinced me Obama’s gay marriage announcement was planned
While sitting in front of my computer yesterday after Barack Obama announced his gay marriage support, my thoughts went to Joe Biden: Were his comments on “Meet the Press” Sunday a gaffe, or were they planned? According to Fox News’s Ed Henry yesterday afternoon, the were a “gaffe.” It made sense. I bought in.
Then I turned on “Fox & Friends” this morning, and Brian Kilmeade blew my mind with one simple reminder: Biden’s “Meet the Press” interview was pre-taped on Friday.
Let that sink in.
That means that the Obama administration wasn’t “scrambling” on Sunday after watching the show like it has portrayed. At the very least officials had a two day head start on his comments to plan a response — and all indications are, they did just that. Consider: the campaign’s reaction in the moments following Obama’s announcement have been a lesson in coordination. Everything, from the email trying to fundraise off the announcement to the Instagram photo, have the feel of a brilliant marketing campaign days in the works.
But what seems more likely to me is that this wasn’t just swift reaction — the coordination smells of planned leak. The campaign is slick. The material well-written. Biden didn’t stumble on his way to first. He hit a home run.
Or at least a sacrifice bunt.
I recognize that there was talk that Obama was going to roll this out just before the Democratic National Convention. I get that. But everything still seems too coordinated to me. And doing it using Biden, I think, allowed Obama to address the idea without the baggage of rolling it out out of the blue. I think he would have faced tougher questions if this new stance dropped out of the sky instead of as a reaction to his “aw shucks,” gaffe-prone VP.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 466 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 324 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 319 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 146 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet