Liberal complaints about Walker’s money don’t hold water
As much as Democrats are going to want to make today’s recall an issue about financing from shady outside organizations, they can’t.
Conservative and Republican groups like Americans for Prosperity and the National Rifle Association supporting Scott Walker in this recall election have thrown $16 million into the race. But progressive and Democratic groups have nearly matched that dollar-for-dollar, with $14 million from groups like Planned Parenthood, MoveOn.org, and a number of labor groups.
According to the Associated Press, Walker has made history by raising an astounding $31 million from sympathetic conservatives from across Wisconsin and across the country. Barrett drew only 9,282 individual donations over $100 compared to the 60,344 individual donations over $100 Walker has collected.
Democrats are crying foul, complaining that much of that $31 million comes from out of state donors. That’s true, but so what? Did Barrett not have the same opportunity to draw in funds from Democrats outside Wisconsin? Barrett raised funds from out of state, just not nearly as much as Scott Walker did and so Dems are whining. Likewise, the Wisconsin GOP helped Walker with $693,000 while the Wisconsin Democratic Party only ponied up $83,000 to help Barrett… but I suppose that’s Walker’s fault as well…?
In reality, liberal Democrats and their outspoken opposition to Walker’s bold policies probably did more to boost his fundraising than anything the GOP ever did. In essence, they are merely complaining that Americans don’t agree with them.
Scott Walker walloped his Democratic challenger in fundraising, but unless he pulls out a sound victory today, Democrats can still claim some victory. With the clear money advantage, Walker should emerge from this election as the clear winner, they’ll argue. I’d agree with that but with one caveat: this is not any normal election. The small number of undecided voters going into today’s election is proof of that. This election was won and lost months ago when protesters stormed the state capitol in Madison and Wisconsin voters decided how they really felt about Scott Walker’s budget policies.
In such a heated election with a clear political divide, money has significantly less influence over votes.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 580 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 519 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 495 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 387 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 314 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US