Obama campaign manager is doing his best Steve Jobs
Twenty-three thousand Americans not working or underemployed isn’t cool, you know what’s cool? ……Twenty-three million Americans not working or underem– Wait a minute, that’s not right.
The memorable scene from The Social Network comes to mind when reading the eyebrow-raising new report in Bloomberg Businessweek which reveals that Obama campaign manager Jim Messina draws inspiration from an eclectic group of outside-the-beltway thinkers in technology and entertainment. David Plouffe’s 2008 job managing the Obama campaign is a tough act to follow, especially with a first term record that many believe the president can’t run for reelection on. To learn more about organizational growth, emerging technologies and marketing, Messina spent a month before the campaign took off to meet with CEOs and senior executives at companies that included Apple, Facebook, Zynga, Google, Microsoft, Salesforce and DreamWorks to guide him to a hopeful victory in 2012.
Speaking now from Chicago campaign headquarters, Messina tells Businessweek that Steve Jobs told him to make mobile technology central to the campaign, Steven Spielberg spent three hours explaining to him how to capture an audience’s attention, Anna Wintour told him to raise millions with Obama-branded fashion. The piece is as much a profile of Messina’s pre-Obama background as it is an interesting look into the campaign manager’s tech start-up curriculum to prepare for his biggest job yet.
An interesting nugget from the piece is the revelation that RomneyEconomics.com, was influenced by Steven Spielberg as a website designed by the Obama team to tell the story—a horror story—of Mitt Romney’s career at Bain Capital.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 378 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 171 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 286 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' deaths
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Council members abstain from vote on abstaining
- Dissidents find 'Cuba outside Cuba' in Miami
- Big stores nix credit card settlement, file suit
- Distraught mom becomes face of Oklahoma storm
- IMF chief Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes