‘It is so incredibly sad’ how caring for elderly parents is viewed today
I couldn’t resist pulling this headline’s quote from an article posted last night on TheBlaze about a new campaign portraying the frustrations for those who care for elderly parents. The campaign is meant to drive these caregivers to helpful resources. The quote itself was originally from Dr. Eileen Callahan, a geriatrician at New York’s Mount Sinai Medical Center, who spoke with the Associated Press. She was referring to how “it is so incredibly sad” that family caregivers feel so “isolated” in their endeavors to take care of aging parents and grandparents.
The efforts from the AARP to provide caregivers with more resources to help them juggle taking care of their folks in addition to maintaining their everyday lives should be applauded. But what is also “so incredibly sad” is how taking care of needy parents is portrayed and how with each generation there is an increased unwillingness to make the same personal sacrifices those parents made only a few decades before.
From the AP’s story:
Although they often don’t identify themselves as “caregivers,” more than 42 million Americans perform some form of consistent care for older or impaired adult relatives or friends, according to a 2009 estimate. It can range from paying bills, to driving Mom to doctor appointments, to more hands-on care such as bathing, and even tasks once left to nurses such as the care of open wounds.
“At first you’re just helping out Mom. Then it can become more than a fulltime job,” said AARP’s Whitman.
She described the average U.S. caregiver as a 49-year-old woman who on top of her regular job provides nearly 20 hours a week of unpaid care to her mother for nearly five years.
Did that mom who now needs to be driven to the doctor, bathed and diaper-changed graciously do the very same when said caregiver was then in their infancy and needed it? That was considered a fulltime job, too — moms who also work “day jobs” today will still proudly talk about how being a mom is also a fulltime job, which they don’t get paid for. Did those parents who are now taking a “toll on the caregivers own health and finances as they put off their own doctor visits, dip into their savings and cut back their working hours” once live among a plethora pre-school germs, give up dreams of owning a yacht and probably take on even more work hours after the kids went to bed to try and save for their college education?
More often than not, they did.
So is this how caring for these parents should be portrayed?
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 578 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 514 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 308 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 264 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos