Things you better know from the final day of the DNC
A roundup of the little things that may have slipped through the cracks…
1. President Obama‘s speech initially receives lukewarm reception from media types:
“He probably did this about as well as he could.”– Fox News’ Brit Hume…
“A big, big speech.”– MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow…
“I think in terms of the content, the attitude he brought… I think it was a very good speech.”– Fox News’ Juan Williams…
“Certainly not the best speech of this convention…”– CNN’s James Carville…
“I think it was the best speech of the convention”– CNN’s David Gergen… on Bill Clinton’s speech from last night…
Then there’s Al Sharpton, who said, “I think that Barack Obama won the election tonight.”
2. In his speech tonight, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) said: “Folks: Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from Alaska; Mitt Romney talks like he’s only seen Russia by watching Rocky IV.” Palin responded on Fox Business: “It’s funny that he would take a little pot shot like that, but it’s funny he even knows my name.” She continued, “I think he diminished himself by even mentioning my name.”
3. MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, a former Republican U.S. representative, tweeted tonight: “Game. Set. Match. Democrats crush Republicans in convention wars.”
4. Blaze editor Jon Seidl curiously watched Vice President Joe Biden‘s speech on mute. “I’m watching Biden speech with no audio. It’s amazing,” he said.
5. If you weren’t there to see Obama in person for his speech, he had a “golf-and-spa style” complexion, according to a White House pool report.
6. As it goes, it was a clear night in Charlotte… [Photo via CBS' Mosheh Oinounou]
7. During former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist‘s speech, CNN’s Chyron (lower-third on the TV screen) read “Republican Turncoat Backs Obama.” [Per Huffington Post media reporter Michael Calderone]
8. Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer seriously wore a bolo tie on stage.
9. Planned Parenthood handed out condoms earlier today. Politico Playbook described them as the “premium lubricated latex” kind.
10. Earlier in the evening on CNN, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi explained why some Democrats skipped the convenion: “What better way” for them to get to know their constituents than to watch from home?
11. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz sent out a fundraising email today in which she referenced her battle with breast cancer: “Today, I’m a survivor — but like every survivor, I now have a pre-existing condition. And although I fought and won the toughest battle of my life to beat breast cancer, I could have been denied insurance coverage because of that battle. Now, thanks to Obamacare, millions of Americans like me won’t have to worry about going without care because of a pre-existing condition.”
12. Fox New’s Shepard Smith spoke with the vice chair of the DNC about why “God” was omitted (before being re-added) from the party’s platform. “Why not just own it?” Smith said. (VIDEO)
13. Yesterday’s prime time cable news ratings for the DNC: MSNBC (3.3 million), CNN (2.9M), then Fox News (2.7M).
14. Politico reported today the Obama team is “indulging in” personal attacks “far more frequently” than the Romney campaign.
15. Meanwhile over at Current TV, anchorman Al Gore said, “I really love Joe Biden…”
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 438 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 418 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 379 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 146 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 121 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 237 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 247 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- WW II photo-documentarian Wayne Miller dies at 94
- Broke no laws, IRS official says _ then takes 5th
- Zach Johnson always feels good at Colonial
- House passes GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Mexico cartel dominates, torches western state
- Union power at issue as Garcetti elected LA mayor