A roundup of the little things that may have slipped through the cracks…
1. President Obama‘s speech initially receives lukewarm reception from media types:
“He probably did this about as well as he could.”– Fox News’ Brit Hume…
“A big, big speech.”– MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow…
“I think in terms of the content, the attitude he brought… I think it was a very good speech.”– Fox News’ Juan Williams…
“Certainly not the best speech of this convention…”– CNN’s James Carville…
“I think it was the best speech of the convention”– CNN’s David Gergen… on Bill Clinton’s speech from last night…
Then there’s Al Sharpton, who said, “I think that Barack Obama won the election tonight.”
2. In his speech tonight, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) said: “Folks: Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from Alaska; Mitt Romney talks like he’s only seen Russia by watching Rocky IV.” Palin responded on Fox Business: “It’s funny that he would take a little pot shot like that, but it’s funny he even knows my name.” She continued, “I think he diminished himself by even mentioning my name.”
3. MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, a former Republican U.S. representative, tweeted tonight: “Game. Set. Match. Democrats crush Republicans in convention wars.”
4. Blaze editor Jon Seidl curiously watched Vice President Joe Biden‘s speech on mute. “I’m watching Biden speech with no audio. It’s amazing,” he said.
5. If you weren’t there to see Obama in person for his speech, he had a “golf-and-spa style” complexion, according to a White House pool report.
6. As it goes, it was a clear night in Charlotte… [Photo via CBS' Mosheh Oinounou]
7. During former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist‘s speech, CNN’s Chyron (lower-third on the TV screen) read “Republican Turncoat Backs Obama.” [Per Huffington Post media reporter Michael Calderone]
8. Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer seriously wore a bolo tie on stage.
9. Planned Parenthood handed out condoms earlier today. Politico Playbook described them as the “premium lubricated latex” kind.
10. Earlier in the evening on CNN, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi explained why some Democrats skipped the convenion: “What better way” for them to get to know their constituents than to watch from home?
11. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz sent out a fundraising email today in which she referenced her battle with breast cancer: “Today, I’m a survivor — but like every survivor, I now have a pre-existing condition. And although I fought and won the toughest battle of my life to beat breast cancer, I could have been denied insurance coverage because of that battle. Now, thanks to Obamacare, millions of Americans like me won’t have to worry about going without care because of a pre-existing condition.”
12. Fox New’s Shepard Smith spoke with the vice chair of the DNC about why “God” was omitted (before being re-added) from the party’s platform. “Why not just own it?” Smith said. (VIDEO)
13. Yesterday’s prime time cable news ratings for the DNC: MSNBC (3.3 million), CNN (2.9M), then Fox News (2.7M).
14. Politico reported today the Obama team is “indulging in” personal attacks “far more frequently” than the Romney campaign.
15. Meanwhile over at Current TV, anchorman Al Gore said, “I really love Joe Biden…”