Notable & quotable: Jay Leno’s half-joke on Obama & unemployment
Sometimes comedy routines unintentionally hit on real life issues. Take for instance late-night comedian Jay Leno’s monologue Monday about the recent drop in the nation’s unemployment rate:
JAY LENO: Well, according to the Labor Department, unemployment fell from 8.3 to 8.1 percent last month. But that was because only, that’s because, rather, 368,000 Americans gave up looking for work. And today, President Obama said that’s a step in the right direction, and he is encouraging more Americans to give up looking for work so the numbers will come down a little bit.
Newsbusters’ Noel Sheppard notes how the joke would be funny… that is, if it didn’t “hit so close to home.”
In reality, most of the drop in the unemployment rate since its 2009 peak is due to a decline in the labor force.
In fact, according to Zero Hedge, the real unemployment rate is currently 11.7 percent.
As such, if the media did a better job reporting the truth about the jobs numbers, one quite imagines Obama wouldn’t be doing nearly as well in the polls.
And in a pure coincidence, there’s also this:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 574 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 490 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 376 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 289 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 256 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 145 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review
- Bowie Young, Cavalleri tied in the Bahamas
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Communications satellite launched into space
- Key figures in racial profiling lawsuit in Ariz
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos