NYT reporter corrects angry Olbermann on Maddow’s path to stardom
A profile in the New York Times looks at conservative commentator Tucker Carlson and the standing of his news site The Daily Caller. In the piece Brian Stelter (who wrote it) notes that Carlson helped launch Rachel Maddow into cable TV stardom several years ago while both were working at MSNBC.
[H]is currency used to be debate — at CNN he co-hosted “Crossfire,” and at MSNBC he tangled with the liberal commentator Rachel Maddow and helped make her a TV star — now it is clicks for his site. And to get those, he doesn’t need to talk to the other side. In this new role, Mr. Carlson is succeeding: The Daily Caller, backed by the conservative businessman Foster Friess and several other investors, has quadrupled its page views and total audience in two years and reported that it became profitable earlier this year without ever buying an advertisement for itself.
Keith Olbermann, who was fired from his own MSNBC show in 2011, apparently read the profile. “Tucker Carlson didn’t have a fucking thing to do with it other than helping get her dropped by MSNBC in ’06,” Olbermann wrote on Twitter today.
Stelter — who before joining NYT founded the media blog now known as TV Newser — responded, “Maddow told me ‘the on-air folks who gave me the most help in getting into TV were Tucker Carlson and Pat Buchanan.’” He added, “Carlson had Maddow on his show regularly in 2005. The key word was ‘start.’ No doubt, you helped her career enormously.”
Despite the compliment, a sassy Olbermann took offense. “Every time I think this guy didn’t go from the best blogger to the worst reporter, he corrects me,” Olbermann said.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 539 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 493 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 329 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 300 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 142 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 194 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 135 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'