Girl targeted by Taliban is released from the hospital
Malala Yousufzai is an inspirational figure whose story touched the world. As you might remember, she’s the 15-year-old who was shot in the head and wounded on her way home from school last October. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the shooting, saying she was promoting “Western thinking.”
Today, however, Yousufzai is well on her way to recovery, having been discharged from the hospital she was flown to for treatment.
“Malala is a strong young woman and has worked hard with the people caring for her to make excellent progress in her recovery,” said Dave Rosser, medical director of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. “Following discussions with Malala and her medical team, we decided that she would benefit from being at home with her parents and two brothers.” …
Her departure from the hospital comes in the same week that gunmen in Islamabad on motorcycles sprayed a van carrying employees from a community center with bullets, killing five female teachers and two aid workers.
The director of the group that the seven worked for says he suspects it may have been the latest in a series of attacks targeting anti-polio efforts in Pakistan. Some Islamic militants oppose the vaccination campaigns, accusing health workers of acting as spies for the United States and alleging the vaccine is intended to make Muslim children sterile.
Last month, nine people working on an anti-polio vaccination campaign were shot and killed. Four of those shootings were in the northwest where Tuesday’s attack took place.
Yousufzai will be readmitted to the hospital in February to have reconstructive surgery on her skull. In the meantime, her father has been appointed Pakistan’s education attache in Birmingham, personally welcomed by former Prime Minister Gordon Brown:
Good news that Malala is well enough to leave hospital. We wish her well as her recovery continues with her family.
— Gordon & Sarah Brown (@OfficeGSBrown) January 4, 2013
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,039 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Investors edgy ahead of Bernanke testimony
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
- Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike in prison
- Germany backs terror label for Hezbollah militants
- Germany celebrates composer Wagner's 200th
- Ahead of the Bell: HP's 2Q results likely to sag
- Kenya's truth report: Killings, land grabs, graft