Hm: Should states subsidize business’ federal tax burdens?
As businesses like Hobby Lobby who’d rather swallow ObamaCare fines than compromise their principles, some at the state level are looking for ways to help.
As you’ll recall, the craft store giant Hobby Lobby has vowed to pay potential fines of up to $1.3 million per day in protest of the Obama administration’s “morning-after mandate” which requires employers to provide employees with insurance that covers the costs of birth control. But while many object to the regulation and the effect it will have on such a business, is there anything else that can be done to protect businesses and their religious beliefs from the government?
In Texas, state Rep. Jonathan Stickland, a Republican, has filed a bill to grant state tax breaks to any company fined by the federal government for not covering contraception costs in its health insurance plan. The legislation — House Bill 649 — would exempt Hobby Lobby and other “religiously based businesses” from state sales and franchise taxes if they are fined by the federal government. According to the Austin Statesman, the state tax credit would be limited to the amount of the federal fine or the amount of state tax the company owes.
“When a business is being stressed nearly to the point of bankruptcy by punitive federal taxes, of course the state should give them relief,” Stickland announced in a statement.
While I support Hobby Lobby and its ongoing battle for religious freedom, I do not support using the tax code — state or federal — to protest.
Full disclosure: I’m a bit of a crafting fiend and I love the Hobster Lobster. But such an act amounts to a transfer of wealth from the state to the federal government. While this tax break might help a few privately owned businesses, it ultimately hurts the state and its residents who will have to forego the tax revenues by cutting funding or raising other tax rates.
What do you think? Do you think it’s a good idea for the state to cover the costs of a business’ non-compliance? Sound off with a comment!
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 576 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 491 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 301 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 262 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 146 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81