Retired Navy SEAL to run for Senate — in Massachusetts
Retired U.S. Navy SEAL Gabriel Gomez announced today that he is running to fill the U.S. Senate seat left vacant by Sen. John Kerry. In a video posted to his campaign website, Gomez — a Republican son of Colombian immigrants — says that his background as a SEAL and a businessman give him unique qualifications, but his lack of interest in politicking will mean “a very different kind of campaign.”
“If you’re happy with the way things are going in our government, I’m not your kind of candidate,” he admits.
The Boston Globe has more info on Gomez:
“I’m running because I refuse to be cynical about America or about America’s future,” he said in a lengthy statement released Monday night. “I’m a doer and an optimist by nature and especially about our country. Certainly people will say, ‘This can’t be fixed.’ Well, I’ve spent a good part of my life working on and accomplishing a lot of things most people said were either too hard or impossible.”
His entry to the race sets up a contested Republican primary, pitting Gomez against state Representative Daniel B. Winslow, a former aide to Governor Mitt Romney. …
In his statement Monday, Gomez decried partisanship in Washington, but did not outline his position on any specific issues.
“I’m not a politician, and there will be times when folks will ask me questions about the inner working of politics that I don’t know about,” he said.
“I’m a quick study. I’ll figure all the political jargon out, but I’m not going to adopt it.”
Gomez is in the process of hiring a major firm to gather his signatures, SpoonWorks Inc., at a cost of more than $100,000, said a top GOP official who has been consulting with Gomez.
Harold Hubschman, owner of the company, would not comment, saying he does not discuss his clients’ business publicly.
There is concern among Republicans that the short time window for gathering signatures, amid rough weather, could jeopardize the party’s chances of fielding a candidate.
Hubschman, who has been paid more than $2.5 million over the last decade on petition drives for state races and referendums, according to state campaign finance records, said it can be done.
“We know we can do it,” Hubschman said. “It’s not impossible. It’s just very difficult.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,035 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 310 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 146 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- Anthony Weiner launches NY mayoral bid, seeking to revive political career after tweet scandal
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Garcetti holds slim lead as LA picks new mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Japan's central bank says economy picking up
- Oil falls below $96 before Fed chief speaks