Calm down! Michelle Obama did not ‘intrude’ on, ‘crash’ or ‘hijack’ the Oscars
By some reports, you’d think Michelle Obama had set up her own camera crew at the White House and interrupted last night’s Academy Awards via satellite to demand $100 million (or at least more Oscars for Django Unchained).
“Obama crashes Oscars,” read the Drudge Report‘s headline.
Washington Post‘s conservative blogger Jennifer Rubin said that Obama clearly felt “entitled … to intrude” on the occasion.
A headline from Breitbart News said Obama “interrupts: hijacks the Oscars.”
That’s not what happened…
The daughter of movie mogul Harvey Weinstein cooked up the
scheme idea, according to The Hollywood Reporter:
According to Academy president Hawk Koch, the plan came from Weinstein and his daughter, Lily. Koch and Oscar show producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron loved the idea. And when it was pitched to the first lady, Zadan told The Hollywood Reporter that her response was, “Yes, I think it’s a great idea. We watch movies all the time at the White House. Let’s do it.”
Maybe some people didn’t want to see Obama there. But let’s agree that she didn’t blow a hole through the ceiling and toss in a smoke bomb before swiping actress Quvenzhane Wallis‘s dog purse.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 293 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 258 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 123 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 196 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 135 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Clearwire board approves higher Sprint offer
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- IRS official in center of targeting probe: 'I have not done anything wrong.'
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Iraqi premier orders army shake-up after attacks
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe