Obama’s liberal Labor pick gave false testimony in New Black Panther case
News out of Washington this week is that President Obama plans to nominate Thomas Perez, assistant attorney general, to be the next Secretary of Labor. On paper, Perez’s credentials look great, but in practice, his nomination raises serious questions.
In 2010, former DOJ civil rights attorney J. Christian Adams resigned in protest of the Obama administration’s handling of a vote intimidation case involving the New Black Panther Party. A month later, Adams told Fox News that Perez provided false testimony before the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights about the Black Panther case. In his testimony, Perez told the commission that the facts of the case – NBPP members dressed in military-style fatigues standing in front of a polling location armed with billy clubs — didn’t amount to voter intimidation under the law.
“I know about the truth… and I know what the truth is and I know to say the facts and law don’t support the Black Panther case is not true,” Adams said. Adams also claimed that he warned Perez about providing false testimony. ”We made it very clear that continuing to say the fact and the law don’t support this case would not be consistent with the truth.”
Perez also testified under oath that political appointees played no role in determining the DOJ’s course of action in the case:
COMMISSIONER KIRSANOW: Was there any political leadership involved in the decision not to pursue this particular case any further than it was?
ASST. ATTY. GEN. PEREZ: No. The decisions were made by Loretta King in consultation with Steve Rosenbaum, who is the Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General.
But a federal judge in Washington disagreed:
The documents reveal that political appointees within DOJ were conferring about the status and resolution of the New Black Panther Party case in the days preceding the DOJ’s dismissal of claims in that case, which would appear to contradict Assistant Attorney General Perez’s testimony that political leadership was not involved in that decision. Surely the public has an interest in documents that cast doubt on the accuracy of government officials’ representations regarding the possible politicization of agency decision-making.
Obama’s nomination of Perez comes just one week after an inspector general’s report revealed internal racial hostilities in the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division and reiterated Adams’ past claims that Perez’s testimony was misleading.
Fox News reported on the IG’s report last week and former chief minority counsel to the House Judiciary Committee admitted that Adams concerns had been “vindicated.” Video after the jump…
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 462 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 459 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 108 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 200 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 136 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested