“We were shocked. We were watching the vote on TV and in the final minutes were saying ‘what are they doing? This thing isn’t going to pass!’ ” said one commodity group lobbyist.
“I’m shocked,” said another lobbyist. “Our job as agriculture is to go to the House and say Mr. Speaker what is your plan for getting this done?”
The intense blame game that broke out immediately after the bill was rejected in a 195-234 vote will only make it harder to get a bill over the hump, supporters of the measure said. [...]
The House bill was heavily backed by commodity groups, from rice and peanut producers in the South to corn, wheat and soy growers in the Midwest to the American Farm Bureau Federation and National Farmers Union.
It won only 24 votes from Democrats after the party balked over the inclusion of $20.5 billion in cuts to food stamp programs.
One lobbyist noted the bill appeared to lose support after an amendment requiring food stamp recipients to be working or looking for work — sponsored by Rep. Steve Southerland (R-Fla.) — was added to the bill. The solution, the lobbyist said, is to move the bill to the left.
“The Southerland amendment was a bridge too far for the Democrats,” the lobbyist said.
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
While you're waiting for your TV provider to get TheBlaze, sign up to watch it online now.
- Major Newspaper Pulls Cartoon Critical of Obama's Immigration Reform After Many Call It 'Racist'
- Another Cosby Sexual Assault Accuser Goes on the Record — This Time a Former Playmate of the Month
- Official: Man Who Fatally Ambushed Florida Deputy Made Previous Threats Against Police
- Cop Caught on Video Slapping and Punching Woman During Arrest Gets Punished — but It's Not the Sanction You'd Likely Expect
- 'He Is One Arrogant, Obnoxious Narcissist': Blaze Readers React to CBS, NBC and ABC Not Being Asked to Air Obama’s Big Immigration Speech — This Might Be Why