An anonymous woman has come forward claiming that she carried on an explicit online affair with New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner — after news of his online sexcapades forced him to resign from Congress in 2011.

Oh boy: Weiner may have continued pervy behavior after sexting scandal broke (Updated)

According to the New Yorker, the Arizona-based gossip site TheDirty reports that the woman was “lured by Anthony Weiner” via Facebook.

“They had a relationship for 6 months and she believed they were in love … The relationship consisted of Anthony Weiner and Anonymous sending sexually explicit pictures of each other and having sexual conversations via phone,” writes Nik Ritchie, editor of TheDirty.  The site claims that Weiner used an alias — “Carlos Danger” — to remain anonymous and continue his explicit online affair after the scandal initially made headlines.

“Even post-scandal, I thought he was misunderstood,” the anonymous woman says.  ”Until I got to know him.  I thought I loved him.  Pretty pathetic.”

Buzzfeed’s Ben Smith has been digging more into the story and reached out to the Weiner campaign earlier this morning.  He has yet to receive any comment.

The site’s anonymous tipster claims that Weiner continued the correspondence with her at least until August 2012, when Weiner allegedly suggested finding her a Chicago condo where they could meet. The screenshots of the exchanges are undated, however, and whether they could be shown to have taken place before or after Weiner’s 2011 fall — before which he has said he had other, yet undisclosed, online relationships — is a key question.

TheDirty has posted copies of the alleged chats and for obvious reasons, I’m not reposting them here.  But in one of the conversations, “Carlos Danger” offers the woman a chance to be featured on a panel discussion hosted by Politico.  In addition, he asks the women to “do me a solid” and “hard delete all our chats here.”

Update: Yep…

Weiner apologized Tuesday for “wrong and hurtful” behavior after new pictures and texts with a woman emerged online:

“I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have. As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress.While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me. I’ve apologized to Huma and am grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and for her forgiveness. I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused. As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward.”

Will any of this make a difference to NY voters?