Bill de Blasio is considering hiring teachers’ union boss Randi Weingarten as the next NYC schools chancellor, sources tell me.
Weingarten — who was head of the United Federation of Teachers in New York before becoming chief of the national American Federation of Teachers — is against charter schools, teacher evaluations and most of the other reforms Mayor Bloomberg enacted.
“She wants the job, and de Blasio’s people have been making calls, asking about Weingarten and testing the reaction,” said one well-placed source in the public education sector.
“The idea of putting a union chief in charge of a school system is mind-boggling,” said a political consultant. “It strains credulity that de Blasio would go that far.”
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
While you're waiting for your TV provider to get TheBlaze, sign up to watch it online now.
- Report: Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to Be Charged for Desertion — Here Are the Details
- Remember the Not-So-Smart Guys Who Allegedly Stole $5,000 and an iPad? Well, They've Been Caught and Are Facing Felony Charges
- Biden Makes Gaffe, Immediately Corrects It During Speech on How to Bridge Gap Between Minorities, Police
- Dems keep the Keystone bill clogged up in the Senate
- For First Time, 'Alien' Space Signal Detected Live by Scientists — And They Aren't Sure What It Is