Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-Calif.) is rebutting parts of a New York Times report that challenged some Congress members’ assertions about what happened in the 2012 Benghazi incident.
From The Hill:
“I believe that groups loosely associated with al Qaeda were” involved in the attack, [Feinstein] told The Hill last week. “That’s my understanding.”
She also disputed the notion that the Sept. 11, 2012, assault evolved from a protest against the video, which was widely disseminated by Islamic clerics shortly before the attack.
“It doesn’t jibe with me,” she said.
Feinstein is head of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
The controversial Times report stated that contrary to government reports, Al Qaeda had no role in the Benghazi attack, which resulted in the death of four Americans, including Christopher Stevens, U.S. ambassador to Libya. It also said the attack was born from a protest against an American-made video that mocked Islam.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), head of the House Intelligence Committee, has also disputed the report as “not accurate.”
Most notable about the Times piece, reported by David Kirkpatrick, was that it cited protesters and a journalist who were on the ground at the time of the attack. Kirkpatrick declined to tell TheBlaze Blog who the journalist was “as a matter of policy.”
Follow Eddie Scarry (@eScarry) on Twitter