Tonight, author, trader, investor and entrepreneur James Altucher will be a guest on the Glenn Beck program on TheBlaze TV. Altucher will be discussing the principles of his 2013 book, “Choose Yourself!,” a guide to being happy, making millions and living the dream.
Often contrarian, heartfelt, raw and inspiring, Altucher’s writings are in many ways akin to those of Srinivas Rao. We at Blaze Books [Facebook, Twitter] highly recommend reading everything you can from the treasure trove of free wisdom that he provides on an almost daily basis.
Below are the 10 most popular quotes from “Choose Yourself,” ranked in descending order by number of highlights in the Kindle version of his book.
1. Success comes from continually expanding your frontiers in every direction—creatively, financially, spiritually, and physically. Always ask yourself, what can I improve? Who else can I talk to? Where else can I look?
2. Only think about the people you enjoy. Only read the books you enjoy, that make you happy to be human. Only go to the events that actually make you laugh or fall in love. Only deal with the people who love you back, who are winners and want you to win too.
3. Every time you say yes to something you don’t want to do, this will happen: you will resent people, you will do a bad job, you will have less energy for the things you were doing a good job on, you will make less money, and yet another small percentage of your life will be used up, burned up, a smoke signal to the future saying, “I did it again.”
4. Rejection—and the fear of rejection—is the biggest impediment we face to choosing ourselves.
The only real fire to cultivate is the fire inside of you. Nothing external will cultivate it.
5. The only real fire to cultivate is the fire inside of you. Nothing external will cultivate it. The greater your internal fire is, the more people will want it.
6. What you need to do is build the house you will live in. You build that house by laying a solid foundation: by building physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health.
7. The only truly safe thing you can do is to try over and over again. To go for it, to get rejected, to repeat, to strive, to wish. Without rejection there is no frontier, there is no passion, and there is no magic.
8. In this new era, you have two choices: become a temp staffer (not a horrible choice) or become an artist-entrepreneur.
9. This is about a new phase in history where art, science, business, and spirit will join together, both externally and internally, in the pursuit of true wealth.
10. There’s a saying, “The learned man aims for more. But the wise man decreases. And then decreases again.”