Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power
The Republican governor of New Jersey has become a popular national figure since taking office in January 2010—and especially beloved by fellow party members for his blunt, tell-it-like-it-is style and willingness to take on left-wing adversaries.
As you’re no doubt aware, Christie delivered the keynote address at the 2012 Republican National Convention. It was a giant stage for the strident governor who many believed would be an ideal choice to unseat President Obama this year—but Christie decided to stay in the Garden State and instead campaign for Mitt Romney.
Christie’s rousing speech was the culmination of his decision to back the GOP nominee, and it gave America (and the world) a sustained earful and eyeful of the man who’s become an enemy of powerful special interests and bloated beneficiaries of the ingrown, corrupt, backroom political culture of New Jersey.
Here’s Christie’s keynote via TheBlaze TV:
The book that spells it all out is Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power. It describes how, in just two years as governor in a decidedly left-leaning state, Christie has moved aggressively to reduce New Jersey’s ballooning deficit, rein in lucrative entitlements for teacher, police, fire, and public employee unions, cut out-of-control government spending, and create jobs by reducing counterproductive business regulations.
Check out Christie totally owning some Obama-endorsed Occupy Wall Street hecklers during a Romney campaign rally:
Excuse after excuse after excuse from Obama and the left. Christie tells ‘em to “cry me a river”:
But beneath Christie’s fiery, fearless public persona is a loyal family man whose New Jersey roots shape his values. Written by New York Times bestselling author Bob Ingle and fellow journalist Michael Symons, who have covered the governor’s political career for more than a decade, Chris Christie offers the first inside portrait of the man many hope one day will succeed Romney in the White House.
Drawing on interviews with Christie himself, his wife, Mary Pat, his brother, Todd, his father, Bill, his uncle Joe, and many longtime supporters as well as political opponents, Ingle and Symons trace Christie’s life, which was surrounded early on by a big, roiling Italian-American family where his mother, Sondra, and grandmother Anne were powerful influences.
After Christie was appointed United States Attorney for New Jersey, he soon became a feared prosecutor and culminated an impressive string of successful cases with a multiyear investigation that resulted in the arrests of more than 40 people, in one of the state’s most notorious examples of political corruption.
Here he is taking on N.J. teacher’s union rhetoric. Few GOP officials can absorb the heat and dish it right back like Christie:
Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power goes behind the scenes to reveal his family life, his public life, and what the future might hold.
Wherever one stands politically, it’s hard to argue with the authors’ take-it-or-leave-it sentiments regarding their subject:
“He’s demanding, he’s loyal, he’s combative, he’s entertaining, he’s mouthy—but never boring.”
Can you handle the truth? Here’s a “best of” Christie compilation:
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 982 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 426 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 378 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 291 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 138 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 175 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot
- Deal on bin Laden evidence made in WikiLeaks case
- Los Angeles picking mayor after low-drama campaign
- ESPN cutting workforce, 'smartly managing costs'
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested at hotel near Atlanta
- Ex-Ford execs charged in Argentine torture cases