Lyin’ Cheatin’ Bastards – Sex, Money, Power: The Dark Side of Politics
In Lyin’ Cheatin’ Bastards, Claire Young, Jennifer A. Freeman, Vicki Zwart, and Allison Adler examine the full scope of that relationship—and a whole lot more—in a 288-page, hilarious-if-it-weren’t-so-sad compendium (okay, it’s pretty funny) that points out 77 of America’s most corrupt politicians.
In other words, elected officials who’ve been impeached, jailed, recalled, censured, or otherwise disgraced.
Or who’ve simply demonstrated “an exceptional level of hypocrisy or dishonesty.”
And for this, as the authors’ dedication to America states: “We’re sorry.”
It features the stupid and dishonest from both sides of the political aisle. It discusses small-town mayors. And big-time congresspeople. It details affairs. “Sexting” scandals. Tax cheats. Extortion. Money laundering. And as the back cover of this fully-illustrated compilation states, Lyin’ Cheatin’ Bastards “proves neither intelligence nor integrity is required to get elected in America—but probably should be.”
Two former congressmen included among the book’s top-10 lyin’ cheatin’ bastards are Randall “Duke” Cunningham (R-Calif.), pictured below on the left, and William Jefferson (D-La.) on the right:
Cunningham took more than $2 million in bribes and is serving more than eight years in prison; Jefferson was sentenced to 13 years in prison for corruption.
And there’s 75 more to go!
The authors describe their motivations:
From Anthony Weiner’s wiener to Larry Craig’s infamous bathroom toe-tap, we’ve come to expect nothing but stupidity and dishonesty from our elected officials. But it’s getting hard to keep track of who’s done what—so we have created this handy compendium.
In only a matter of minutes we found more recent scandals than we knew what to do with so we had to whittle them down to the worst of the worst: 77 Lyin’ Cheatin’ Bastards.
No political office is sacred, no party immune, and no sin that’s been punished goes unrecognized…the mind-boggling antics of our public officials are chronicled here for all eternity.
If only a handful of our politicians failed to meet our expectations, we could call it a fluke. A bad streak, perhaps. But today so many of them are being arrested for criminal activity or confessing to yet another inappropriate relationship that it may be time to ask if there’s a deeper problem.
Do the right people run for office? Have we set the bar too low? Is there anything we can do about it but laugh?
Described as a timely “encyclopedia of idiocy,” Lyin’ Cheatin’ Bastards boasts a unique scoring system for ranking politicians, with offenses ranging from ethics violations to prison sentences. There are also a number of unique sub-categories such as “Gay Anti-Gay Legislators (GAGL)” and “The 7 Most Audacious.” Scandals are further broken down by state and political affiliation.
Where do you suppose “tickle monster” Eric Massa or Anthony Weiner and his indiscreet text messages rank?
“We normally only hear about these scandals one at a time and that prevents us from really grasping just how many crooked and stupid politicians there are out there,” Angus Carroll, the book’s editor, remarked. “Now, with Lyin’ Cheatin’ Bastards, the true horror of it all is made perfectly clear.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 980 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 426 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 377 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 290 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 137 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 173 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids