Because liberals, she says, have been filming a kind of racial “movie” for decades…starring themselves as heroes (of course) in an ongoing civil rights movement—which they were mostly absent from at the time.
In her newest hard-hitting, unapologetic book, Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama, Coulter adds that long after pervasive racial discrimination ended, the Left continued pretending that a bleak, backwoods American landscape was overrun by torch-wielding Klan members and that liberals (surprise, surprise) were black America’s only protectors.
Coulter observes that it took the O. J. Simpson verdict—the 1995 race-based acquittal of a spectacularly guilty black celebrity—to shut down the white-guilt bank.
(Related piece: Whoopi Goldberg “Bleeped” During Heated Debate with Ann Coulter)
But now, fewer than two decades later, our “postracial” president has returned us to the pre-O.J. era of nonstop racial posturing. Indeed, Coulter notes, Barack Obama—a half-black, half-white Democrat with no DNA ties to American slaves—has brought racial unrest back into vogue.
Here’s Coulter discussing Mugged with Sean Hannity:
The Obama candidacy allowed liberals to engage in self-righteousness about race and get a hard-core Leftie in the White House at the same time. In 2008, we were told the only way for the nation to move past race was to elect him as president. And 53 percent of voters fell for it.
Check out related Coulter observations from her Mugged chapter, “White Guilt Kills”:
White people using elections to prove that they like black people has never turned out well. It does not move us beyond race. What moves the country beyond race is to move beyond race. But, to make up for what a small band of racist Democrats did, we keep being asked to wreck the country. …
The national obsession with racism is a self-inflicted punishment that has resulted in disaster, for everyone, but most of all for black people. The initial lie from which all other lies flow is the idea that black people’s condition in America depends on white people’s beneficence. It’s Bull Connor’s last revenge.
In Mugged Coulter fearlessly explains the real history of American race relations, including how white liberals twist that history to spring the guilty, accuse the innocent, and engender racial hatreds, all in order to win politically. You’ll learn, for instance, how:
- A U.S. congressman and a New York mayor conspired to protect cop killers who ambushed four police officers in the Rev. Louis Farrakhan’s mosque.
- The entire Democratic elite, up to the Carter White House, coddled a black cult in San Francisco as hundreds of the cult members marched to their deaths in Guyana.
- New York City became a maelstrom of racial hatred, with black neighborhoods abandoned to criminals who were ferociously defended by a press that assessed guilt on the basis of race.
- Preposterous hoax hate crimes were always believed, never questioned. And when they turned out to be frauds the stories would simply disappear from the news.
- Liberals quickly switched the focus of civil rights laws from the heirs of slavery and Jim Crow to white feminists, illegal immigrants, and gays.
- Subway vigilante Bernhard Goetz was surprisingly popular in black neighborhoods, despite hysterical denunciations of him by the New York Times.
- Liberals slander Republicans by endlessly repeating a bizarro-world history in which Democrats defended black America and Republicans appealed to segregationists. The truth has always been exactly the opposite.
Here’s Coulter further breaking down Mugged during a radio interview: