The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor
(The lack of loathing is mutual—Beck described Tapper as a “great journalist” and a “master storyteller” in his recent radio interview with the correspondent.)
Another hat Tapper has acquired is father. And it was in the early moments of this role that Tapper got the idea for his riveting new book, The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor.
Tapper told Glenn that while holding his newborn baby in his wife’s hospital room, out of the corner of his eye he noticed a TV news report on a combat outpost in Afghanistan that was overrun by the Taliban.
“Holding my son and hearing about eight other sons taken from this world…there was something about that moment that just captured me,” Tapper recalled, noting the stark “Ecclesiastes nature” of the life-death juxtaposition.
Tapper added that he became interested in learning more about the soldiers involved and their courageous stories, but because the media never uncovered why the outpost was there to begin with, he embarked on his own investigative work, which culminated in the completion of The Outpost.
Check out the video of Glenn’s radio interview with Tapper, which gives the whole picture of their excellent exchange:
The particulars: On the morning of October 3, 2009, Taliban insurgents attacked Combat Outpost Keating. The 53 U.S. troops, stationed at the bottom of three steep mountains, would have to contend with nearly 400 Taliban fighters. Though the Americans ultimately prevailed, their casualties made it one of the war’s deadliest battles for U.S. forces.
And after more than three years in that dangerous and vulnerable valley only 14 miles from the Pakistan border, the U.S. abandoned and bombed the camp.
A Pentagon investigation later concluded that there was no reason for Outpost Keating to have been there in the first place.
This harrowing excerpt from The Outpost captures the essence of what our soldiers faced that day:
S–t, Daise thought. Oh no. Oh God no.
He had a radio attached to his belt and a hand-mike attached to his collar. “Charlie in the wire!” he said, for some reason at first using old Army slang for the Viet Cong. He immediately corrected himself: “Enemy in the wire! Enemy in the wire!” On a different radio frequency Wong repeated what Daise had called in: “We got enemy in the wire! We got enemy in the wire!”
Daise could hear the news repeated and echoed through the camp.
Enemy in the wire.
It was what everyone had dreaded, what every troop had known was possible since 2006. The Taliban fighters were inside Combat Outpost Keating.
In The Outpost, Tapper exposes the origins of this tragedy, exploring the history of the camp and detailing the stories of soldiers heroic and doomed, shadowed by the recklessness of their commanders in Washington, D.C. and a war built on constantly shifting sands.
Here’s Glenn’s most recent interview with Tapper on TheBlaze TV:
- Kids Brutally Vandalize Man’s Family Home — But Now He’s the One Facing Jail Time 651 Comments
- Does the Bible Predict God’s End-Times Destruction of Syria — and Is Prophecy About to Unfold Before Our Eyes? 464 Comments
- ‘Free at Last’: La. State Senator Explains Why He Recently Left the ‘Government Plantation’ & Joined GOP in Powerful Video 331 Comments
- This Scathing Magazine Cover of the ‘Real’ Rand Paul Has Apparently Not Been Photoshopped in Any Way 311 Comments
- Proof-of-Citizenship Voter Law Struck Down by Supreme Court — and Guess Who Voted with the Majority 283 Comments
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
Interested in doing more? Spread the word about TheBlaze to your friends and family.
Spread the word!
- McCaskill endorses Ready for Hillary group
- Playmate admits helping boyfriend in US illegally
- G-8 advances on Syrian peace talks, tax evasion
- Italy top court faults Amanda Knox acquittal
- Here's what to watch for Wednesday from the Fed
- Venus Williams pulls out of Wimbledon, citing back
- Stocks move higher as traders wait on the Fed
- Judge sets Fort Hood suspect trial for July 9