Obama’s America: From World Superpower to Welfare State
America finally knows what President Obama meant when he said he intended to “fundamentally transform America.” He aimed to make this country unrecognizable to its Founding Fathers, and he’s done just that.
Obama has reversed the role of the federal government – instead of looking like the world’s hegemonic superpower, we look more like the world’s most innovative social welfare state to be envied by all of Western Europe.
This year defense spending will sink to its lowest levels in our nation’s history; meanwhile, entitlement spending will reach new highs.
This is part of an astounding overall trend in our federal government’s spending habits. The Heritage Foundation reports, “Defense spending has declined significantly over time, even when the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are included, as spending on the three major entitlements—Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid—has more than tripled.”
In 2012 alone, Heritage reveals an immense gap between defense and entitlement spending—defense comprised 19% of total outlays, while entitlements reached a gargantuan 62% of federal spending.
This is a complete perversion of what the Founding Fathers intended.
As former Senator James Talent wrote, providing for the common defense is the “priority job” and “the only mandatory function” of the federal government.
He wrote in the Heritage Foundation, “Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution lists 17 separate powers that are granted to Congress. Six of those powers deal exclusively with the national defense—far more than any other specific area of governance….”
Indeed, America’s early presidents and Congresses respected and stayed true to this bedrock conception of the federal government.
The Office of Management and Budget acknowledges before the 1930s, most federal spending went toward “national defense, veterans’ benefits, and interest on the public debt,” and in 1929, “71 percent of federal outlays fell into these categories.”
But, today, the opposite holds true. Our federal government devotes nearly that same amount to the welfare state even though the Constitution only makes a cursory mention of providing for the general welfare.
Taken together, our country has strayed perilously far from the America our Founding Fathers envisioned, and in doing so, we are expediting our fall from greatness.
Where is the America that toppled the Soviet Union, put the first man on the moon, and conquered the great frontier? That America is quickly becoming a distant memory.
Instead, we are striving to become a liberal Utopia, all the while ignoring that this sort of idealism precipitated the all-consuming debt and economic travails we see just across the Atlantic Ocean.
America must reject the premise that our Constitution is outdated, cliché and therefore invalid and demand that our government reflect the core principles that made us the greatest nation on earth.
It’s time to thwart Obama’s twisted plan or perhaps the foreboding words of President Ronald Reagan will one day ring true: “We’re in greater danger today than we were the day after Pearl Harbor. Our military is absolutely incapable of defending this country.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 993 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 431 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 382 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 142 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 179 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot
- Deal on bin Laden evidence made in WikiLeaks case
- Los Angeles picking mayor after low-drama campaign
- ESPN cutting workforce, 'smartly managing costs'
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested at hotel near Atlanta
- Ex-Ford execs charged in Argentine torture cases