Play-by-play analysis of Supreme Court hearings on Obamacare Individual Mandate
We all knew it would come to this. Is the individual mandate within Obamacare constitutional?
The government made the case last week that your inactivity, if you were to decline to buy health insurance, was actually an activity that effects interstate commerce and something Congress can regulate.
Justice Antonin Scalia argued otherwise:
If the government can make you buy health insurance, what can’t they make you do? Where is a limiting principle?
Is health care unique or is it a market that the government can regulate?
Enter Justice Scalia’s broccoli argument:
Chief Justice John Roberts, unlike Justice Scalia, accepted that the health care market may be unpredictable, but doesn’t see it as that unique:
-The government has argued that Congress has the ability to regulate your inactivity, through the commerce clause, because health care is unique.
-The government argues that health care is a market, and is unpredictable in comparison to other markets like emergency services.
For Justice Alito, this argument still doesn’t show where Congress’s powers will be limited for so many other scenarios, like burial services for instance.
The government’s response to this is that different than the market for burial services, there is already a regulatory environment for health care services:
Considering the logic we’ve heard from the government thus far, Justice Anthony Kennedy wants to know if Congress can create commerce.
The Solicitor General representing the government could not answer the question. Luckily, Justice Stephen Breyer came to the rescue:
It all comes back to the search for a limiting principle. An answer to the question: If Congress can do this, what can’t Congress do?
Unfortunately for supporters of Obamacare, that question was never really answered.
(video intros written by Chris Santarelli)
- Kids Brutally Vandalize Man’s Family Home — But Now He’s the One Facing Jail Time 655 Comments
- Does the Bible Predict God’s End-Times Destruction of Syria — and Is Prophecy About to Unfold Before Our Eyes? 473 Comments
- ‘Free at Last’: La. State Senator Explains Why He Recently Left the ‘Government Plantation’ & Joined GOP in Powerful Video 340 Comments
- This Scathing Magazine Cover of the ‘Real’ Rand Paul Has Apparently Not Been Photoshopped in Any Way 314 Comments
- Proof-of-Citizenship Voter Law Struck Down by Supreme Court — and Guess Who Voted with the Majority 283 Comments
Find TheBlaze on your TV
TheBlaze is available on channel .
Spread the word!
If you can't find TheBlaze, please call to upgrade your package
Unfortunately, TheBlaze is not available on .
But you can help! Call at or press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.
But you can help! Press CONTINUE to email your provider and urge them to add TheBlaze to your channel lineup.Continue
Please complete the form
Thank you for supporting TheBlaze
Interested in doing more? Spread the word about TheBlaze to your friends and family.
Spread the word!
- Yikes: MSNBC host can’t be bothered to discuss babies’ pain in abortion
- Venezuelan babies now have a ‘right’ to breast-feeding
- Budget sequester now blamed for rape & murder?
- Report: Rick Santorum planning 2016 run
- What should be the Obama and Putin ‘break-up’ song? (Blaze editors share their selections)
- IRS worker: No political bias against tea party
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order
- Waiting for word from Bernanke, stocks move higher
- Utah man shot in church upgraded to fair condition
- Ammunition fire rages at Russian military base
- Clashes erupt in Egypt over Islamist governors
- CBO: Senate immigration bill cuts deficits by $197B over 10 years, $700B in next 10
- AP EXCLUSIVE: US war games send signal to Assad