Fox News host receives death threats after monologue condemning Trump’s Charlottesville response

Fox News host receives death threats after monologue condemning Trump’s Charlottesville response
Fox News host Eboni K. Williams received death threats after her monologue condemning President Donald Trump's response to the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia. (Image source: YouTube screenshot)

Fox News host Eboni K. Williams received numerous death threats after she berated President Donald Trump on Monday for failing to condemn white supremacy groups for the violence that erupted in Charlottesville, Virginia, Variety reported.

During her “Eboni’s Docket” segment on “The Fox News Specialists,” Williams said the president put his political aspirations above the country’s need for unity around the condemnation of white supremacy groups. Williams, who is black, said she was once willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt but not anymore.

“In a moment where you could have been crystal clear where you stand on the issue of inclusion, standing up against white supremacy and domestic terrorism, you very intentionally chose to be ambiguous and to equivocate all sides, Mr. President?”

According to Williams, Trump hesitated to condemn white supremacy groups because he decided that his “portion of the base that is absolutely racist is so significant, so valuable” that he didn’t want to “cripple” his “political stronghold.”

Williams also brought up Trump’s claim of supporters sticking with him, even if he theoretically shot someone on 5th Avenue.

“I think you’re right. I think they will stick with you through anything,” she reiterated. “They will even stick with you while you calm their fears and deep-seated anger around their perceived depreciation of the intrinsic value of whiteness in this country. And, let’s be honest, that’s what this all really about.”

Williams received approximately 150 emails on her personal website after the segment aired, compared to the average of 10-15 she normally receives, Variety reported. All of the emails, except two or three, were “scathing.”

One email said that Williams should meet her maker soon, while another said she should not be allowed to walk the streets of New York City.

Another person found out Williams lived in Harlem and told her “Harlem needs to watch out.”

Although she has worked for Fox News on and off over the last five years, Williams said she has never received the kind of response she received last week, the New York Times reported.

Williams’ book publisher was so concerned about her safety that they instructed her to ask Fox for additional security, the Times reported. She is now being escorted to and from the studios by a security detail.

When asked why she did the monologue, the Fox News co-host said she felt compelled to offer viewers a different take on the situation in Virginia.

“They probably don’t see much of any of the diverse point of view that I can offer,” she told the Times.

Williams is a self-described independent. She voted for President Barack Obama but has been an outspoken critic of his in the past, particularly surrounding the violence in Chicago.

Williams said she believes both Obama and Trump speak to their particular audiences in a similar manner, although their demographics differ.

“While I think President Obama was uniquely positioned as a black man and the leader of the free world in that moment to speak to those black males in Chicago in a way I would have better appreciated, it’s a similar thing with President Trump right now,” Williams told Variety. “He’s a white male that represents … the patriarchal, white male dominant structure, so he could speak to white America in a way that Obama never could.”

Other Fox News hosts, contributors and even a producer took to Twitter to show support for Williams:

226 Comments