Top Dem Warns: GOP Poised to Take up Birther Argument
That’s the warning from the House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC). In an interview with TheGrio.com, Clyburn said that should Republicans retake the House this fall, Congress will be “gridlocked” and the White House will be busy responding to subpoenas from Republicans.
Clyburn is refering to Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), the ranking Republican on the House Oversight panel, and his statement that he will issue “subpoenas everywhere” should Republicans prevail. But Clyburn goes a step further and speculates on the content of those subpoenas:
The White House will be full-time responding to subpoenas about where the president may or may not have been born, whether his mother and father were ever married, and whether his wife’s family is from Georgetown or Sampit.
The question of Obama’s citizenship is usually referred to as the “birther” argument. The Hill reports that Issa’s office calls Clyburn’s hypothesis “ridiculous.”
“The Democratic Caucus doesn’t take Jim Clyburn seriously — Americans shouldn’t take his ridiculous claims seriously either,” said Issa spokesman Kurt Bardella in an e-mail to the Washington-based paper.
A call to the Majority Whip’s office seeking comment about what Clyburn is basing his claim off of was not immediately returned.
In his interview, Clyburn insists that the birthers are a creation of Conservative media personalities who refuse to repudiate such ideas. He adds that if the Fairness Doctrine was still in place, requiring broadcasters to give both sides equal time on political programs, there wouldn’t be an issue.
“Twenty-five years ago, we didn’t have Rush Limbaugh spewing hate all day, every day, and others on the radio, and we didn’t have a TV station dedicated to misrepresenting the facts and people making $20 million to go out and say what they know not to be true,” Clyburn said in the interview. “This has created an atmosphere of toxicity.”
In a recent interview with author Dinesh D’Souza, Glenn Beck did speak out against the birther idea:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 474 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 464 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 370 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 330 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 196 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 100 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 107 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Iran's Rafsanjani blasts clerics, says report
- Kerry Kennedy, farmworker protest Wendy's in NYC
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- UK police: 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier in London.
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- Pritzker's ties to thrift, tax haven eyed
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Shareholder adviser firm paying $300,000 fine