Museum Exhibit Portrays Jesus in Porn Pose
Some may call it art, but others are are outraged and declaring it blasphemous.
A Loveland, Co., public art museum has sparked a heated debate among the town’s residents after highlighting an exhibit which seems to feature Jesus Christ in a tawdry sex act.
The controversial piece is part of a 10-artist exhibit called, “The Legend of Bud Shark and His Indelible Ink.” The lithograph showing the son of God engaged in a sexual act is called, “The Misadventures of the Romantic Cannibals,” and was created by Stanford University professor Enrique Chagoya.
“It is visual profanity,” said art gallery owner Linda King, in an interview with the Loveland Reporter-Herald. “It disgraces the God of all creation.”
Donna Rice, a member of the Loveland City Council, told the Denver Post that the “taxpayer-supporter, public museum” was meant to be family-friendly. “This is not something the community can be proud of,” she says.
Though many protestors hoped the city council would cut off funds to the museum over the issue, the city’s attorney has indicated that a painting of Christ engaged in oral sex “does not meet the criteria of public obscenity.”
The artist has defended his work, claiming to be surprised by the public’s outcry. “My intentions are not to offend anybody,” Chagoya told the Associated Press. “The main intention of my work is to express my personal concerns about religious institutions, not about the actual religious beliefs, which I respect.”
Nearby Denver seems to boast more supporters of the art, including Carol Ware told the Post she thought the work was “provocative and thought-provoking.”
But many local Christians say the museum exhibit is nothing more than taxpayer-funded pornography that defiles Christ and their religion. “We don’t think our savior should be put in those kind of poses,” Steven Gregory told Fox-Denver. “I love art, but this isn’t art.”
To view the lithograph, click here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 420 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested