Muslim Student Discovers FBI Tracking Device on His Car
A California college student got an interesting surprise when he recently took his car into the shop for repairs: mounted to his car’s undercarriage was an FBI tracking device, monitoring his every move.
According the International Business Times, Yasir Afifi posted pictures of the curious device on the Internet and the FBI arrived to reclaim their device without an explanation as to why they were tracking him. Zahra Billoo, an attorney with the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) said the group is contemplating legal action on Afifi’s behalf, noting two similar cases in Ohio.
The case raises new privacy issues related to modern technology. Afifi’s discovery comes in the wake of a recent ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declaring it’s legal for law enforcement to secretly use tracking devices on a suspect’s car without a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway. In a similar case, however, the D.C. Circuit Court came to a different conclusions, meaning that a Supreme Court showdown over law enforcement’s use of GPS technologies may be coming in the near future.
Several news outlets have reported that Afifi has been on a federal “watchlist.”
He has two brothers in Egypt, and lived there for five years. His father, Aladdin Afifi, was head of the Muslim Community Association in California. Billoo noted that it runs one of the largest Mosques in the state and has done so foe many years. Aladdin Afifi died in 2009. There is no evidence that Afifi is connected to any radical groups.
According to Wired, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is also taking a serious interest in the case:
Brian Alseth from the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington state contacted Afifi after seeing pictures of the tracking device posted online and told him the ACLU had been waiting for a case like this to challenge the ruling.
“This is the kind of thing we like to throw lawyers at,” Afifi said Alseth told him.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 433 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 379 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 353 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 311 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 302 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 160 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 120 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 111 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- 7 hurt when trains collide in Mo., buckling road
- Gay wins 100 at Adidas Grand Prix in New York
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- NTSB: Bridge collapse in Wash. is wake-up call
- Polanski laments leveling of sexes as 'idiotic'
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- Jimmie Johnson chasing NASCAR history, not legacy
- Bayern Munich wins Champions League final 2-1