Huffington’s $250k Bus Pledge For Stewart Rally a ‘Shock’ to Staff
During her Sept. 28 visit to “The Daily Show,” liberal media magnate Arianna Huffington dropped a surprise for Jon Stewart and his audience: free bus rides for New Yorkers who wants to attend Stewart’s 10/30 “Rally to Restore Sanity” in Washington. But as big of a surprise as it was to Stewart and his fans, it was reportedly an even bigger surprise to to everyone back at HuffPo headquarters.
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
For an estimated $250,000, Huffington has promised 100 buses bound for the rally. But according to TheWrap, the financial commitment is dizzying to HuffPo executives who are looking to capitalize on the move. “Arianna has a sixth sense for promotion, for capturing lots of attention,” HuffPo’s President Greg Coleman said in an interview with TheWrap. “We were surprised when she made that offer. She didn’t tell us. But inside the Huffington Post this does nothing to hurt our revenues.”
“What we’re working on is turning this into an opportunity. Working with largest marketers in country to sponsor this Sanity Bus Tour. This one is going to cost us some money, and we are looking at this as an opportunity,” he said.
But some of Huffington Post’s finance executives are wincing, according to insiders.
[T]he announcement was a “shock to the system” back at HuffPo, according to one insider, where employees were left to deal with curiosity seekers wandering by to sign up for the buses. (On the air, Huffington invited rally-goers to “just come to the Huffington Post, 560 Broadway in Soho; the bus will be there, we’ll take you with us!”)
And bean-counters wondered how much it was going to cost at a time when the company is seeking to show revenue growth and fiscal discipline.
The company was in talks to be acquired by Yahoo! — where HuffPo CEO Eric Hippeau is on the board of directors — in the spring, but those talks broke off inconclusively after the two sides could not agree on a valuation for the site.
Meanwhile, HuffPo has reportedly been getting quite the response. “We are all super excited about it,” HuffPo spokesman Mario Ruiz told TheWrap, “along with over 11,000 who have signed up. Everyone from the company’s been ‘on board’ from the get-go, and we can’t wait for Oct. 30.”
Not to be outdone, Stephen Colbert, host of the Colbert Report, has challenged Huffington to also provide bus transportation for his rival “Keep Fear Alive” rally on the same day as Stewart’s.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 468 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 442 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 351 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 170 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 141 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 101 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Blake Shelton putting together Okla. benefit show
- 2 infants among 10 kids killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Beatles' lyrics headed for British Library
- House Republicans promote 20-week abortion ban
- Sathwik Karnik wins National Geographic Bee
- North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- 'BOOM TOWN BABY': African stock markets see gains
- Russian drunk driver who killed orphans sentenced