(Updated) Dem. Congressman Fails to Clarify ‘I Think the Constitution is Wrong’
(Editor’s note: the Congressman’s office has responded to The Blaze’s original story. See that response at the bottom.)
Rep. James McGovern (D-MA) may have minced words when defining his stance on campaign finance reform. Or if not, that may be the only way to stomach his shocking statement about the Constitution.
During a recent debate with his challenger Marty Lamb, McGovern began explaining that the Supreme Courts Citizens United decision is inappropriate. During that explanation, he made the statement “I think the Constitution is wrong”:
We have a lousy Supreme Court decision that has opened the floodgates, and so we have to deal within the realm of constitutionality. And a lot of the campaign finance bills that we have passed have been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. I think the Constitution is wrong. I don’t think that money is the same thing as human beings.
To be fair, McGovern could have just tripped over his words. The conversation centered on the Supreme Court and he might have mistakenly said “Constitution” instead of “Court.” But when given the opportunity to clarify his statement, he punted. In an exchange with an apparent audience member, McGovern denies ever making the claim:
(H/T: Stephen Gutowski)
“I’m sorry I blew your mind but I didn’t say that the Constitution was wrong,” he told the audience member. “I said that the interpretation by my friend here was wrong.”
Calls to the Congressman’s office requesting comment were not immediately returned.
Michael Mershown, Congressman McGovern’s press secretary, called back and said that the comment was simply a slip of the tongue: “He meant to say that he disagreed with the court decision [Citizens United], and instead said he disgreed with the Constitution.” When asked why the Congressman denied the comment, McGovern said the Congressman at the time did not realize he had made the mistake.
McGovern’s campaign also e-mailed to provide a comment from the Congressman:
“Last night, I had a slip of the tongue. While answering a question about the awful Supreme Court campaign finance decision, I used the word ‘Constitution’ rather than ‘Court Decision.’”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 586 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 388 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 320 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 270 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins