Glenn Beck Calls for ‘Largest Day of Fundraising’ for Chamber of Commerce
Fed up with unsubstantiated accusations claiming the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is funneling foreign money into political campaigns, Glenn Beck is encouraging his listeners to shower the Chamber with “record-breaking” support. By mid-morning he had achieved his goal.
“I would like to have this [be] the largest day of fundraising for the Chamber of Commerce ever,” Beck said. While calling for action on air Thursday morning, Beck walked his readers through the donation process and pledged a $10,000 gift to the organization:
“Let’s break all records. Let’s show these people that we actually believe in something different than what Barack Obama and Joe Biden are saying,” Beck said, after explaining that the Chamber is “fighting” for small businesses and being demonized by the administration.
“They are us,” he said of the Chamber. “Put your money where you mouth is.”
Beck put a link up on his website where listeners can donate directly to the Chamber. That link can be seen here.*
According to Executive Vice President of the Chamber Bruce Josten, Beck achieved his goal. Within an hour Beck and his listeners had broken the single-day donation record:
The Chamber responded to the accusations on its website. “This allegation is … false and baseless, not to mention tiresome and desperate,” said one of the organization’s blog posts.
The post went on to explain:
The U.S. Chamber hosts several business councils, whose purpose is to promote bilateral trade and investment between the two countries. They are run as independent organizations and most members of business councils are not also members of the U.S. Chamber.
For those business councils affiliated with us, their monies are considered “restricted funds” and are held for use by those business councils. These councils have been around for decades. They have never engaged in political activity–and they never will.
Recently, Vice President Joe Biden challenged the Chamber to provide the public with a figure explaining how much foreign money it receives and donates to political causes. In another blog post, the Chamber gave an answer: “Zero. As in, ‘Not a single cent.’”
(Editor’s note: this is a breaking story. Updates may be added throughout the day.)
*Due to overwhelming response, the Chamber requested the donation links be updated to allow listeners to contribute using the following link: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Small Business Nation. The links in the story reflect the update.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 460 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 452 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 182 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 117 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Canadian trucking company says it had permits
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Chile blocks world's highest mine project
- Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss