’1 Down 534 To Go’: Blogger’s Gun License Suspended After Threatening Post
A blogger from Arlington, Massachusetts has had his gun license temporarily suspended after he wrote a disturbing post regarding the Tucson shootings and Rep. Gabrielle Giffords titled, “1 Down 534 To Go.”
According to WBZ-TV, which reviewed the blog, the “1″ refers to Giffords while the “534″ refers to all members of Congress — both Democrat and Republican. The blog site was not operational at the time of this story’s publication.
“It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot indiscriminately. Target only politicians and their staff and leave regular citizens alone,” 39-year-old Travis Corcoran — who owns a comic book store — reportedly wrote on the blog.
As a result, police are investigating the “suitability” of Corcoran having a firearms license. Currently, Corcoran has not been arrested or charged with a crime.
The story, however, has prompted a lively debate on WBZ’s website regarding the balance between free speech and protecting people from threats.
“Doesn’t that man have the freedom to speak?,” writes commenter “Kay.” “Was that right taken away from us? I may not agree with what he wrote but he has the right to voice his opinion.”
Commenter “kasser “responded: “He absolutely do have the freedom of speech, up to the point where he is threatening with violence or suggesting violence. ‘Target only Politicians’ in my mind, fall perfectly under that criteria. The debate about Freedom of Speech for some always fail as some believe Freedom of Speech comes with the right to say anything you want. … Yeah – those gun permits comes with a little responsibility too.”
Matthew agrees: “I am very pro-gun. I am also for freedom of speech. However, freedom of speech does not mean you can say anything you want without consequences. What he did is close to a direct threat on someone’s life. Do you think you can just go downstairs in the morning, threaten your wife with her life, and then go buy a gun after she files charges against you?”
Yet Jake thinks it’s a slippery slope: “Ans [sic] ‘suggesting’ violence is a crime? How about implying violence? Or asking a rhetorical question about violence?”
It’s a debate that’s likely to rage on. What do you think? Was a suspension and investigation warranted?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 285 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan