Zion, Zion Everywhere: ‘Racist’ 2012 Olympic Logo is Offensive to Iran
TEHRAN (AP/The Blaze) – Iran is objecting to the official logo for the 2012 London Olympic games, contending it is racist and claiming it spells the word “Zion.” In protest, the Islamic nation is warning of a possible boycott of the games.
The secretary general of Iran’s National Olympic Committee said Iran sent a letter to International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge. The letter claims the 2012 logo spells out “Zion,” a biblical term widely recognized to refer to the city of Jerusalem.
In comments carried by the official IRNA news agency Monday, secretary general Bahram Afsharzadeh said the letter urges other Muslim states to oppose the “racist logo.”
“There is no doubt that negligence of the issue from your side may affect the presence of some countries in the games, especially Iran which abides by commitment to the values and principles,” the letter said.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called for Israel’s destruction and questioned historical accounts of the Holocaust. Iranian athletes have refused to compete against Israelis.
The London logo shows the numbers “2012″ in four jagged figures and until now has been criticized only for its design. The IOC said it received the letter and joined London organizers in rejecting Iran’s complaint.
“Our response is as follows: The London 2012 logo represents the figure 2012, nothing else,” the IOC said.
The London organizers said the design was launched in 2007 after testing and consultation.
“We are surprised that this complaint has been made now,” the committee said.
h/t Sports Grid
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,000 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 441 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- Piers Morgan and Bill Nye Speculate on Climate Change’s Role in Deadly Okla. Twister 197 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 165 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 196 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 104 Comments
- New Egypt tax law: cuts for poor, business hikes
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- JPMorgan's Dimon survives shareholder referendum
- Clippers won't offer Del Negro new deal as coach
- Stocks gain on reassurance from a top Fed official
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- AP photographer sees kids pulled from Okla. school
- The pope and the devil: Is Francis an exorcist?