‘Peanut-Sniffing Dog’: Parents Peeved at School’s Draconian Peanut-Allergy Precautions
Parents in Edgewater, Florida are up in arms about draconian measures their children will have to endure in order to protect those few students who suffer from deathly peanut allergies in the school.
After one student suffered an allergy attack, the school decided to ban all outside food from holiday parties, to ban all peanut products on school premises, and to require all students to rinse their mouths and wash their hands before entering their classrooms, according to My Fox Orlando. And if that doesn’t do it, the school has also recruited the help of a peanut-sniffing dog. Meanwhile, teachers are stocked with Clorox bleach wipes that they continually use on desks and other public spaces (but not on students, they’re quick to note).
The parents of the non-allergic children have had enough. They rallied outside of the school with sign saying “Our Kids Are Special Too,” and “Where is the Happy Median?” protesting the school’s regulations.
Shannon Layshock, the mother of a boy who is allergic to peanuts, said at the rally, “This little kid is 8 years old. If he gets one touch of peanut oil, peanut butter, peanut anything, he’s dead in an instant, and you’re gonna worry about a Clorox wipe that’s not even allowed to be used on a child’s face. It’s embarrassing. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.”
At one point, another parent chimed in, telling Layshock, ”You can’t take peanut butter and jelly away or any right away from my child. You can’t do that.” That exchange is pictured above.
“You’re saying it’s OK for you to give that right to my child to die,” Layshock asked:
“No, but keep your child at home,” the parent responded.
To watch a video of this story, click here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 288 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kuchar leads Colonial without finishing 2nd round
- Penguins oust Sens in five, reach Eastern finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 away from Heat in Miami, 97-93
- Obama's drone rules leave unanswered questions
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair