Meet the Good Samaritan who Tried to Stop the Brutal McD’s Beating
ROSEDALE, Md. (AP) — A witness who tried to help a transgender woman who was being beaten at a McDonald’s in Maryland said she was overwhelmed by the response from people who have praised her for intervening.
Vicky Thoms was embraced by strangers at a rally Monday night outside the McDonald’s in Baltimore County where the assault took place.
The victim, 22-year-old Chrissy Lee Polis, decided not to attend, but Thoms said she wished she had come so she could give her a hug.
Thoms said she walked into the restaurant April 18 and saw two teens beating Polis. No one was helping the woman and one bystander was even recording the attack with his cell phone camera, she said.
Thoms told The Baltimore Sun she watched for about two minutes but decided to step in because she thought Polis would be killed. When she stepped up and asked the girls to stop, Thoms ended up getting punched in the face herself, she said.
“She hit me like a man would hit and she was 14 years old,” she said.
Afterward, a man behind the counter asked Thoms if she realized the person being beaten was not a woman and was transgendered.
“I told him, ‘No I didn’t and I don’t care,’” she said. “He said he worked with her and she had a smart mouth — in other words, she deserved it.”
Teonna Monae Brown, 18, was arrested Friday and charged with first- and second-degree assault. A 14-year-old girl has been charged as a juvenile. Prosecutors are reviewing other charges are warranted including hate crimes counts.
Polis, told The Baltimore Sun that before she was attacked, she heard a teen say Polis was a man using the women’s restroom and accused Polis of talking to her man. The 14-year-old told police she and Brown fought with Polis over using the restroom, according to charging documents.
Video of the attack shows Polis being beaten, dragged though the restaurant by her hair and then apparently having a seizure.
Since the attack, Thoms said her nerves are shot and she can’t stop crying. She told her family about it, but they didn’t understand how bad the situation was until they saw the video on television last week.
“They couldn’t watch it,” she said.
More than 200 people gathered in the parking lot of the McDonald’s for Monday’s rally. The restaurant had closed for the evening in support, and the roads around it were clogged.
Michael Strebeck, 43, came with his 15-year old daughter, Lindsay, who was upset by the attack. He grew up blocks away and had worked at the McDonald’s briefly and the Jiffy Lube next door for years.
“I think (the attack) should never have happened, but it should have been stopped and the police called sooner. That’s why I’m here.”
Crimes against transgender people are included in the state’s hate crime law, but advocates who pushed for a bill that would have extended housing and employment protections say this shows that discrimination against the group is real. The bill passed the House, but was never brought to the Senate floor for a vote.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 498 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 457 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 449 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 336 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 173 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 112 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Truck in Wash. span collapse hauled drilling equip
- Cyclist tests positive for EPO, risks life ban
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- US: Czech slaying suspect killed relatives
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Defending champ Keselowski tries to build on title