‘I Still Hear Her Screaming’: NM Woman Fatally Mauled by Four Pit Bulls
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico woman who witnessed four pit bulls fatally maul another woman on Easter Sunday said Thursday that she heard screams from inside her home, then rushed outside and saw that the victim had “big chunks missing” from her head and stomach and had arms that were bitten to the bone.
Laura Russell said she hasn’t been able to sleep since seeing the incident.
“I still hear her screaming in my head,” she said. “I can’t close my eyes.”
A young man who stopped to try to help the injured 48-year-old woman, Margaret Salcedo, was chased back into his truck by the dogs, Russell said. She phoned 911, and police in the community of Truth or Consequences have said Officer James Harrington fired several shots at one of the dogs when it threatened him. That animal fled, wounded, and the officer was able to scatter the remaining dogs.
“The officer was there in a minute and a half,” Russell said. “That’s how long I was on the phone, and he was there before I hung up.”
Russell said she brought towels to Salcedo before paramedics arrived.
The victim, who had been taking a morning walk just before the attack, died a few hours later. The wounded dog was found dead under the owners’ house. The other three dogs were picked up in the yard and were quarantined at an animal shelter.
The dogs’ owners weren’t home when the attack occurred. State police on Thursday continued their investigation into Salcedo’s death, and the results will be turned over to the district attorney’s office to decide whether the dogs’ owners will be charged.
Police Chief Patrick Gallagher has said the city hadn’t received any complaints about the dogs.
Russell said she didn’t know Salcedo, but the two would occasionally say hello to one another.
“I saw her walking up and down the street,” she said. “She always talks to my dog, says, ‘Don’t worry, I’m just walking by.’”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 562 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 487 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 342 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 245 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 239 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations