Update: Graphic Vid Captures Contentious LSU Flag-Burning Protest as Planner Whisked Away to Safety
Things got out of hand quickly at this afternoon’s flag-burning protest on the campus of Louisiana State University. And while counter-protesters are claiming victory, that victory didn’t come without controversy.
As we reported earlier, communication studies graduate student Benjamin Haas had planned an event to protest the recent arrest of a student who stole a university American flag and burned it. He planned on burning his own American flag. But students, led by student government President Cody Wells, planned a counter-protest. Now, first-hand reports say that the flag-burning never happened. Instead, as pictures and video show, the protest got heated as counter protesters mobbed Haas, who then had to be whisked away in a police cruiser for his safety.
John Baham, who attended the protest, explained exactly what happened in an e-mail to The Blaze:
Ben Haas did not burn the flag. There were hundreds of students, veterans, and other patriotic Americans in free speech alley where a heated debate was taking place between a few vets, and a female student. We couldn’t hear what was being said, though. [...]
Suddenly, a student yelled, “Hey there’s Ben Haas and he’s talking to the cameras!” Everyone ran to the parade grounds, and surrounded him while chanting many different things: “U.S.A.,” “Love it or leave it!,” and “Geaux to Hell Hippie, Geaux to Hell!” This last chant is a play on a cheer said during LSU vs. Ole Miss games.
While Ben was speaking to the news camera’s people in the crowd started to throw water bottles, water balloons, etc. at him. The mounted police officers had to escort him away across the parade grounds, and into a police car that was waiting in the middle of a very busy road through campus. The whole time the crowd was following him chanting various things, and they even surrounded the police car until the mounted officers cleared a path.
“He was taken away for his safety,” Baham makes clear, adding that “there were some very angry military vets there, both young and old.”
At one point Baham caught a glimpse of Haas, who he says “looked very scared.”
Baham’s story was captured in pictures by the student newspaper, The Daily Reveille (Haas is in the checked shirt):
According to the paper, “hundreds” showed up to protest Haas. But an unofficial LSU message board put the unverified number in the “thousands.”
A video posted on YouTube shows exactly how the event unfolded. Students can be seeing surrounding Haas as some (as Baham notes) chanted “U-S-A!” while others shouted obscenities and threw things at him. Mounted police can be seen trying to protect him during the ordeal:
[Content Warning: Contains graphic language]
See more images from the Daily Reveille.
(H/T: Blaze reader Kelly)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 381 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 175 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 300 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Stocks end lower as investors reassess Fed worries
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Body of 2nd child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- David Beckham bids au revoir to soccer
- Gap's 1st-quarter profits rises 43 percent
- Committee hits stretch run for NY-NJ Super Bowl