Bizarre ‘Dance Party’ Protest at Jefferson Memorial Ends With Violent Arrests
Here is the short version:
Adam Kokesh is the man that Michelle Malkin called “an anti-war smear merchant in GOP clothing.”
He now hosts a “libertarian” TV show for Russia Today called “Adam vs. the Man.”
Nothing like a high-profile stunt to boost viewership.
In the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit’s opinion on the matter, Judge Thomas B. Griffith wrote that dancing in the memorial is “prohibited because it stands out as a type of performance, creating its own center of attention and distracting from the atmosphere of solemn commemoration that the Regulations are designed to preserve.”
“Outside the Jefferson Memorial, of course, Oberwetter and her friends have always been free to dance to their hearts’ content,” Griffith writes.
So Kokesh and crew decamped to the memorial on Saturday afternoon to stage a little civil “danceoberdience.”
It went about as you might expect.
The group that gathered at the monument Saturday was there in protest of the upheld ban.
Andrew Sharp, one of the protesters, says they were told they would not be given a warning and would be immediately arrested if they started dancing in the monument.
“I think some people thought it was a joke at first, and then they started putting handcuffs on people and were very, very serious about it,” says Sharp.
Sharp says there were about a dozen protesters, and five of them were arrested.
“It’s good that only five people got arrested, but there were many more than that there that were supportive and were there to protest the ruling,” adds Sharp.
The memorial was closed for a short time after the protesters were arrested, but was opened a short time later.
Here’s the long version of the incident:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 474 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 464 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 370 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 330 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 100 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 203 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 104 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 107 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Iran's Rafsanjani blasts clerics, says report
- Kerry Kennedy, farmworker protest Wendy's in NYC
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- UK police: 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier in London.
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- Pritzker's ties to thrift, tax haven eyed
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Shareholder adviser firm paying $300,000 fine