Chart-Topping Singer Adele Comes Out Against National Health Care, High Taxes
If you’re a popular actor or singer, revealing yourself as someone with conservative principles is close to career suicide. Conservatives in Hollywood and the top-40 music industry are few and far between. But don’t tell that to one of today’s most popular singers in both the UK and the US.
Adele — the curvy British woman with a raspy voice — is currently one the hottest singers on the radio. But now she’s taking heat not for her the melodic notes coming out her mouth, but for her words. Just get a load of what she said recently about nationalized health care and high taxes:
“I’m mortified to have to pay 50 per cent! [While] I use the NHS, I can’t use public transport any more. Trains are always late, most state schools are s**t, and I’ve gotta give you, like, four million quid – are you having a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from [her album] 19, I was ready to go and buy a gun and randomly open fire.”
Adele’s comments come during a time in Britain where many of the country’s youth are blasting austerity. Consequently, the comments have been panned.
“Now, I love Adele. But that doesn’t exactly endear you to her, does it?” writes Guardian blogger Rob Fitzpatrick. He goes on to make a case that Adele pays nothing compared to the Beatles, who complained about being taxed at 95 percent.
But at least one Brit is praising her comments. James Delingpole writes in The London Telegraph that Adele is truly being unique and different by disavowing the “socialist principles” in showbiz:
A rock star can get away with many vices – from drugs to Satan worship to on-stage bat decapitation – but the one perversion that remains absolutely verboten is the kind of conservatism expressed by Adele. Rock stars, after all, are traditionally supposed to be champions of the underdog. Their fans may permit them the odd stately home or private jet, but what they absolutely won’t forgive is any sign that they’ve abandoned their socialist principles. That would be “selling out”.
Adele, your openness, fearlessness and integrity puts the rest of your industry to shame.
And just in case you think Adele is a nobody, the Guardian has named her the most powerful force in the UK music industry. Her song “Rolling in the Deep” is currently number one on the Billboard Hot 100. You can listen below:
It seems Adele’s political views are as counter-cultural as her modest image.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 557 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 483 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 340 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 242 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 237 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations