Illinois Churches Urge Gay Clergy to Legalize Their Partnerships, Perform Civil Unions
Church leaders in Illinois are taking the state’s new same-sex civil union law to heart. While some denominations are planning to perform homosexual unions, others are encouraging openly-gay clergy to formally legalize their partnerships.
These sweeping developments come as the dust settles on a new law that allows gay couples to enter into unions. When Gov. Pat Quinn signed the bill back in January, he proudly exclaimed, “We are showing the world that the people of Illinois believe in equality for all.” With the legal debate now settled, the new regulation is beginning to impact Christian denominations.
Here’s a report from WLFD-TV that covers Illinois’ commencement of same-sex civil unions:
The Chicago Tribune reports that the new law is encouraging church leaders to officiate civil unions for gay and lesbian couples. Additionally, Chicago’s Episcopal Church is now urging its clergy who find themselves in committed homosexual relationships to make them legal.
Lutherans are following suit, but with some interesting caveats. Clergy are permitted to officiate same-sex civil unions with permission from the bishop, yet they are barred from performing civil unions for straight couples:
The prohibition on civil unions for straight couples upholds the church’s teaching on marriage and family, Chicago Lutheran Bishop Wayne Miller said.
“If pastors start performing civil unions, it sets up a very confusing message about whether or not this church still holds marriage as the standard for how a man and a woman enter into a lifelong commitment with one another,” Miller said.
Unlike the Episcopal Church, neither the Presbyterian nor the United Church of Christ will require or urge openly-gay clergy in committed relationships to enter into civil unions.
As laws that govern marriage are examined around the nation, all faiths and denominations will be challenged. These latest changes showcase how some Christian leaders will choose to react to new legislative realities. What do you think about these new developments?
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 249 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 133 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 223 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues