Can Creationism and Science Co-Exist?
Can creationism and science co-exist? This ongoing question has dominated cultural and religious circles for centuries. Across the globe, individuals and institutions continue to debate about the origins of life. While some embrace the scientific theory of evolution, others believe in creationism — the notion that a higher power purposefully formulated mankind.
This, of course, is an oversimplification, as there are individuals who embrace a variety of theories that pull from these polar opposites. The main argument at the heart of it all, though, is whether the Bible’s scriptures fall in line with scientific theory (and vice-versa).
John Lennox, a math professor and author from Oxford University is sharing his belief that creationism and science can peacefully co-exist. In his new book entitled, “Seven Days That Divide the World” Lennox maintains that Christians can believe in science’s theoretical constructs, while embracing Biblical scriptures as truths. In an interview with The Christian Post, he says:
“I think that sometimes people have been taught there are only two possibilities: Possibility one is that if you are being faithful to Scripture, you have to be a young earth creationist. Otherwise you’re an evolutionist or a theistic evolutionist, and you’re not faithful to Scripture. I don’t think that is the case…”
…it’s not a quest of trying to keep up [with science], but it’s a quest of looking at what God has revealed of Himself in nature, and looking at what God has revealed of Himself in the Bible and trying to make sense of those two.”
According to the Post, Lennox challenges Christians to look into the Bible to find areas where God’s account of creation and science’s explanations intersect. He believes wholeheartedly that adherents shouldn’t be afraid to look for corroboratory evidence. Furthermore, he says that the Bible purposefully oversimplifies various teachings, including the creation story, to make them more universally understandable:
In his book, Lennox first suggests that Genesis teaches readers the possibility that the seven days are suggestive of a more complex process…
He continues, “If the biblical explanations were at the level, say, of twenty-second century science, it would likely be unintelligible to everyone, including scientists today. This could scarcely have been God’s intention. He wished His meaning to be accessible to all.”
Interestingly, Lennox believes that that Bible is ahead of its time in a scientific sense, highlighting its insinuation that the universe had a beginning far before science had contended the same.
Click here to read more about these fascinbating ideas.
(h/t The Christian Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 555 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 506 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 480 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 333 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 219 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 231 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Grizzlies, Memphis ready to 'believe' vs Spurs
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't