AFL-CIO Union Chief Pledges 12 Million Workers to Van Jones Progressive Tea Party
Well, according to AFL-CIO president Rich Trumka, only the American “labor movement” is all about the “real” American Dream. I guess that means the rest of us haven’t got a clue.
Opening with Van Jones’ “American Dream” mantra, Trumka announced his pledge of 12 million union laborers and their families to support Van Jones’ “Rebuild the Dream” movement.
Trumka then goes on to explain that the real American Dream is not about a few of us having a lot, but about all of us having a “fair portion.”
“The American Dream is not that a few of us will get to be rich, but that all of us will have a fair portion of the good things in life.”
Trumka’s announcement coincides with the launch of a Van Jones co-sponsored MoveOn.org campaign titled “Rebuild the Dream.” The Blaze recently reported on the campaign and its new catch-phrase already catching on among leftists like Howard Dean. The movement, which accuses the “slash and burn” GOP of “killing the American dream,” has positioned itself as the left’s answer to the Tea Party.
During Rebuild the Dream’s launch event Thursday, Jones exclaimed to a crowd of followers that “America is not broke” — even encouraging the audience to chant the phrase in unison — and claimed those who suggest otherwise, are “lying.” He also accused people — presumably Tea Party members – who “hate on America’s government” and “wreck America’s infrastructure” — of being unpatriotic.
Of course Jones also didn’t fail to misrepresent a GOP platform when he suggested conservatives lie to the American public and lead them to believe that “asking the super-rich to pay taxes hurts America’s economy.” This statement is disingenuous of course, as it implies conservatives suggest high-income earners shouldn’t pay taxes at all. In addition, Jones seems to deceive by omission when he fails to specify who his “super-rich” actually are — then appears to lump small business owners, large corporations, and the individually wealthy into the same category.
But perhaps the best, most ironic moment of the evening came when Jones, aiming to sound like Newt Gingrich, announced his “Contract for the American Dream,” which will come to fruition in mid-July. The “contract,” Jones claims, will be an aggregated list of ideas and suggestions he receives from people across the country, on how to “rebuild the American dream.”
With the help of friends like MoveOn, SEIU, Campaign for America’s Future and AFL-CIO, Jones plans to “build a movement that stands for liberty and justice for all.”
The video below features highlights of Van Jones’ Rebuild the Dream launch event:
So first we had “hope and change” and “yes we can,” and now it’s “rebuild the American dream.” Platitudes and catch-phrases seem to come easily to the left, but what about substance?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 475 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 380 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 316 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 190 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 107 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Deliberations resume in Arias trial penalty phase
- 12-year-old Mass. boy wins National Geographic Bee
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Israeli air force chief warns of Syrian attacks
- Oklahoma City mayor says 12,000 to 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed by tornado