TIME Editor Mark Halperin Calls Obama ‘Kind of a D*ck’ During Live MSNBC Show
MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” prides itself on the relaxed and loose feel of its “sitting around the breakfast table, talking about the country” program. There are even rumors that CBS is in talks to steal the show for their perennially lackluster morning programming slot.
Considering the kind of chatter delivered by the “Morning Joe” crew today, I wonder if CBS might reconsider their plans?
It was just after 6am and the discussion kicking off the day was dealing with President Obama’s press conference from the day before. Regular MSNBC contributor and TIME Magazine editor Mark Halperin was asked his thoughts on the presser and he gave a rather unvarnished assessment:
[Content WARNING: clip contains an inappropriate reference]
The segment continued with some additional references to the “delay button” problem, but after a commercial break, Mr. Halperin was given the chance to apologize to the President:
“Joking aside, this is not a pro-forma apology, this is an absolute apology, heartfelt to the President and to the viewers, I became part of the joke, but that’s no excuse. I made a mistake and I’m sorry and I should not have said it, and as I say I apologize to the President and the viewers who heard me say that.”
Halperin’s facial expression tells a great story:
MSNBC’s official video posts from Morning Joe edited around the gaffe and the apology.
The spontaneous “magic” that happens in first half hour of Morning Joe’s three hour, daily show is often rebroadcast in the eight o’clock hour, it is doubtful that MSNBC will repeat the first half hour of June 30, 2011, but one never knows.
Update: “Morning Joe” did break from their typical format, starting the 8am hour with live programming (instead of the first segment of the 6am hour). The segment also featured a second and third apology from Mark Halperin.
Halperin has also added a Twitter apology. (I wonder if Obama “follows” the Time editor?)
Update: Halperin has been suspended ‘indefinitely’ by MSNBC.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 471 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Togo police fire tear gas at protesters
- McQuaid: Panel to study UCI-Armstrong 'collusion'
- Jewelry stolen a 2nd time during Cannes festival
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Jerry Lewis repeats his distaste for female comics