Update: Atheists Threaten to Sue Over ‘Seven in Heaven’ Street Sign Honoring 9/11 Heros
Last month, The Blaze reported on a group of atheists who are up in arms over part of a street in Red Hook, Brooklyn, that was renamed to commemorate fallen 9/11 firefighters. The street — now called “Seven in Heaven Way” — references seven firefighters who lost their lives as part of Engine 202, Ladder 101 and Battalion 32. Now, the group — NYC Atheists — is discussing a potential lawsuit against the city.
According to an The Daily News, Ken Bronstein, the head of NYC Atheists, said:
“We are not against honoring anyone who died or served on 9/11. What we’re against is the use of the word ‘heaven,’ which is a religious concept.
The Founding Fathers set up separation of church and state. We need to draw a line in the sand. This is not a Christian nation. This is a republic.”
The families of 9/11 victims are less than pleased with the atheists’ reaction. Catherine O’Mara, whose son-in-law Brian Cannizzaro is an honoree on the sign, said:
“It’s disgusting and horrible. This means everything to the women who lost their husbands.”
Apparently, the group believes it can “show injury — and the impact of what the city is doing.” Their First Amendment case would argue that the public nature of the sign is a violation of the separation of church and state clause. In response to their claims, New York Magazine’s DailyIntel blog called them “jerky” and quipped:
Because when people say a 9/11 first responder is “in heaven” they are specifically referring to the walled-in sky compound guarded by St. Peter. Not, as you might have guessed, a generic non-religious wish that a person who died running into a towering inferno to rescue hundreds of innocent people might somehow now be at peace.
So far, New York City is sticking to its guns and not caving to the atheists’ removal demands. Lawyers are lining up to offer the city pro-bono representation, with experts claiming that the atheists’ arguments are “far-fetched.” Outlandish claims, though, have been a fixture in many past court battles. Thus, this case very well could make its way into a courtroom.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,033 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 104 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed