Is Cursive Dead? Indiana Schools Dump Handwriting for Typing Skills
Indiana public schools will no longer be required to teach cursive handwriting come this fall, and instead students will be expected to learn keyboard typing skills.
A memo from the Indiana Department of Education said schools may decide for themselves whether to keep teaching cursive, or to drop it from their curriculums completely.
Reaction to the decision has been mixed. Karen Goeller, deputy superintendent for the Vigo County School Corporation, told the Indiana Tribune-Star her district will keep teaching cursive in elementary school for now, even in a typing and tech-savvy world.
“We consider our students’ needs, and right now, we do see a benefit in teaching cursive as part of our curriculum…we feel it’s important students have a healthy mix of handwriting and keyboarding skills.”
Currently, SAT and Advanced Placement exams require handwritten essays, leading to questions about how future test-takers will fare:
“Speed and legibility are keys to success,” Goeller said.
Another concern is handwritten signatures for the next generation: Ericka Hostetter, a parent whose children attend public school in Indiana, told the Tribune-Star that while she’s “right in the middle” on the decision, “I think we all need to know how to sign our names in cursive.”
But the debate isn’t just confined to Indiana. Parents and schools in Colorado and Georgia are having the same discussions:
And one school in South Carolina has decided to stick with its cursive writing despite its fleeting popularity:
What do you think? Is this an example of schools making necessary curriculum updates, or just more dumbing down in education?
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 464 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 368 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 185 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 107 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Iran's Rafsanjani blasts clerics, says report
- Kerry Kennedy, farmworker protest Wendy's in NYC
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- UK police: 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier in London.
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- Pritzker's ties to thrift, tax haven eyed
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Shareholder adviser firm paying $300,000 fine