Obama Allegedly Storms Out of Budget Negotiations with Republican Lawmakers
President Obama abruptly left debt negotiations with congressional leaders Wednesday, according to White House officials.
According to The Los Angeles Times, the meeting began to go awry when House Majority Leader Eric Cantor told the president that, “Congress should instead consider a series of debt ceiling votes based on spending cuts that already have been identified. Talks could then continue to identify additional cuts for subsequent votes.”
“I suggested we were so far apart I didn’t see in the time before us how we get to where he wants us to be,” Cantor told reporters after the meeting.
Obama, in his typical affable and diplomatic manner, warned Cantor not to set such an ultimatum and threatened to veto any legislation that would extend the debt ceiling only for a short period.
“The president told me, ‘Eric, don’t call my bluff. I’m going to take this to the American people,’” Cantor said.
Aides, who spoke on condition of anonymity, described it as the most heated meeting they’ve experienced in the months of discussions, with the president at one point accusing both sides of posturing.
“This process is confirming what the American people think is the worst about Washington: that everyone is more interested in posturing, political position and protecting their base than solving real problems,” Obama said.
Of course, this is coming from the man who warned Tuesday that failure to raise the debt ceiling could mean that Social Security checks, veterans benefits and other government obligations would not be paid as scheduled in August. If anyone knows anything about posturing, surely it is Obama.
The president “was most insistent that he wanted the debt limit extended into 2013, because he believes a repeat of what we’re going through now, when things will be politically more tense, would be very destabilizing,” another aide said.
The meeting was effectively ended after a top Republican accused the White House of playing politcal games in order to entice “Yes” votes on extending the debt ceiling.
In an effort to circle the wagons, Democratic officials deny reports that Obama had “walked out” of the meeting. “Left abruptly is perfectly fair,” one official said. “But the meeting was over — in no sense did he walk out on it.”
We can only assume that he asked to be excused, that is, after he had finished eating his peas.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 420 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 377 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 299 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 100 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 111 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 212 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 178 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senators warm to transportation nominee
- Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- HP's slumps deepens in 2Q as earnings fall 32 pct
- Faith healers charged with murder after 2nd death
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
- Soldier charged with videotaping women