Vatican Excommunicates Chinese Bishop Ordained Without Papal Approval
VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican said Saturday that a bishop ordained in China this week without papal approval had acted in defiance of the Holy See and was automatically excommunicated.
Amid a deepening standoff with Beijing, the Vatican issued a strongly worded statement denouncing the ordination and said Pope Benedict XVI “once again deplores the manner in which the church in China is being treated.”
Beijing severed ties with the Holy See in 1951 after the Communist Party took power and set up its own church outside the pope’s authority. The Blaze reported last month on China’s stated intentions to continue to ordain their own bishops despite the Vatican’s insistence that it has the sole power to do so.
Faithful on the mainland are allowed to worship only with the state-sanctioned church, which recognizes the pope as a spiritual leader but rejects his authority to appoint priests and bishops. A thriving underground following remains loyal to the Vatican.
The Vatican statement said Chinese Catholics have a right to “act freely, following their consciences and remaining faithful” to the pope.
The Rev. Joseph Huang Bingzhang was consecrated as bishop of Shantou by China’s state-controlled Catholic church on Thursday. It was China’s third such ordination without the pope’s approval in eight months.
The Vatican insists that the pope has the sole right to appoint bishops. Beijing’s Communist leaders see that position as foreign interference.
The bishop “had been informed some time ago that he could not be approved by the Holy See as an episcopal candidate.”
“Reverend Huang had been asked on numerous occasions not to accept episcopal ordination,” the statement went on to say. The Holy See does not recognize him.
The Vatican accused Chinese authorities of forcing bishops to attend the ordination ceremony against their will, saying they had “offered various forms of resistance,” though the statement did not elaborate.
The issue of who should appoint bishops has proven a key obstacle to Benedict’s goal of improving relations with China. An agreement that gave the Vatican an opportunity to give its tacit approval on new bishops broke down last year.
A top Vatican adviser, Hong Kong Cardinal Joseph Zen, has called the current standoff a “war” and urged the Holy See to take a harder line against China’s ordinations of bishops.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 520 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 483 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 466 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 123 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Delta ups the ante in battle for NY travel market
- Man charged with stalking Jennifer Lawrence's kin
- A-Rod sells Miami Beach home for $30M
- Snooki: NJ Gov Christie 'just doesn't like us'